cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can anyone please help

Marc_Samuels
Level 2
During any backup job/policy that I have configured I notice that both of the drives in my tape library are going "down" at least once every half hour and stay that way until an operator goes into Device Monitor to "up" the drive. This is queuing up all of the concurrent jobs. This is especially painful on a weekend backup with multiple servers to backup. Has anyone experienced this? I have spoken to HP regarding a possible hardware/firmware issue and they have found no errors.

Here is my environment:
1 - Netbackup 6.0 MP4 master/media server on an Server 2003 Enterprise Edition platform
1 - HP MSL 4048 Fiber Channel tape library
1- Perl Scripting with Migration
16 REPLIES 16

Stumpr2
Level 6
verify proper drive mapping from the OS drivers to the physical tape drive

please see this thread for details
http://forums.symantec.com/discussions/thread.jspa?messageID=4479368&#4479368Message was edited by:
Bob Stump

Marc_Samuels
Level 2
Thanks for your insite Bob I'll give that a go.
I'm sure I have the relevant drive mapping from the OS drives to the type drive.

I'll get back to you later today with the results.
Once again thanks for your time Bob and all the best!

h_m
Level 6
What funtion does "Perl Scripting with Migration" perform? Does it attempt to use the library in any way?

Also check the drivers you have for the drives, sometimes the veritas ones work and sometimes the vendor ones work.

One suggestion (workaround) could be for you to run vmoprcmd every 1/2 an hour and use the output to work out what drives are down, then up them accordingly. (Just a thought).

Cheers,

H

Marc_Samuels
Level 2
Hi H,

My name is Marc Samuel and I'm a Head Hunter based in London.
I'm looking for really good technical consultants with Netbackup experience, Perl Scripting / Migration with a financial background to work on a contract for a Tier 1 Investment Bank paying �500 - �600 per day.

I would very much like to talk to you via the telephone or by email when you have a free moment.
Even if its not what your looking for I would like to get some technical knowledge from yourself.

0207 922 7235
marc.samuels@jamesharvard.com
www.jamesharvard.com

Marc

Dennis_Strom
Level 6
Perhaps the Forums does pay off. More than just points.
Hire hm we have all seen his posts and he is definitely technical.

Check also the bptm logs and just to see look at /opt/openv/netbackup/db/media/errors. See if the same media and or drives are giving problems.

h_m
Level 6
How can someone stoop that low?

Stumpr2
Level 6
that converts to about $1,000 US dollars per day. That sounds reasonable for a short contracting gig. Perhaps you could take a week or two of holidays from your present engagement, just to help the bloke out?

h_m
Level 6
Now there's a thought, good thinking Bob, but I think I know which bank is in question, and that may complicate matters :)

Would be worth you USA boys flying over to this side of the pond for a couple of days - any takers?!

H

DavidParker
Level 6
I'm *always* up for a trip to the UK :)

It's almost been 6 months since my last visit ...
It's definitely time to go again!

Dennis_Strom
Level 6
For that kind of money, yes I would be willing to take a month off.

h_m
Level 6
You'd probably have to take 12 months off.... it's a big poject.

Dennis_Strom
Level 6
Ok.

DavidParker
Level 6
Oh yeah, a year would be doable ...

Where do I sign?

Stumpr2
Level 6
> Perhaps the Forums does pay off. More than just points.

I just changed my name tag

from
This space for rent

to
Hero for hirehehehe

Marc_Samuels
Level 2
If your a Hero for hire I would like to hire you.
Look at the top of my thread Bob and your see my contact details, give me a call.
And we can talk.

Stumpr2
Level 6
Sorry, I don't do Perl. I do know and understand NetBackup CLI.