cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can i force delete old version of SLP?

Kritix
Level 2

Hello, im dealing with a bit of a conundrum here...

I have created new msdp (stu_msdp_nbu-media02) and redirected some SLPs to this new msdp. This went fine, but after a while i noticed the msdp was badly created - i made a mistake and i have created it way too small.

So i wanted to delete it and recreate it to fix my mistake, so i went to edit all versions of the SLP again because i cant delete msdp while it is configured in SLP... and that is where i hit the issue. not sure how this version got into existence, but:

Name: SLP_SAP_shortterm
Data Classification: (none specified)
Duplication Job Priority: 10000
State: inactive
Version: 3
Operation 1 Use for: 0 (backup)
Storage: stu_msdp_nbu-media02
Volume Pool: (none specified)
Server Group: (none specified)
Retention Type: 2 (Expire After Copy)
Retention Level: 9 (infinite)
Alternate Read Server: (none specified)
Preserve Multiplexing: false
Enable Automatic Remote Import: false
State: active
Source: 0 (client)
Operation ID: (none specified)
Operation Index: 1
Window Name: --
Window Close Option: --
Deferred Duplication: no
Operation 2 Use for: 1 (duplication)
Storage: stu_msdp_nbu-media01
Volume Pool: (none specified)
Server Group: (none specified)
Retention Type: 0 (Fixed)
Retention Level: 2 (3 weeks)
Alternate Read Server: (none specified)
Preserve Multiplexing: false
Enable Automatic Remote Import: false
State: active
Source: Operation 1 (backup:stu_msdp_nbu-media02)
Operation ID: (none specified)
Operation Index: 2
Window Name: Overday
Window Close Option: SFN
Deferred Duplication: no

so for some reason i ended up with SLP that has my new msdp as target for primary backup action.

As far as i know, it is impossible to change target storage for operation 1 with nbstl (please someone tell me im wrong) and i cannot delete it because of:
Exit status: 1519(Images are in process.

I am sure there are actually no images on this version of SLP - there are no savesets on this volume pool, i suppose it does not let me delete this version, because there are some savesets to process on the SLP as a whole.

i have found an option to disable the SLP via nbstlutil cmd, but that would also immediately expire all of the savesets across all the versions of it.

Anyone able to give me some advice?
If i forgot to add some relevant information, just shout, ill add anything needed.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

davidmoline
Level 6
Employee

HI @Kritix 

To answer your questions, no it is not possible to force delete a SLP version that has active operations.It should be possible to modify the STU for the backup operation (as long as the substitute is the correct type - ie supports acellerator if needed etc. nbstl will let you know if the replacement STU is not okay).

To be able to delete a SLP version you need to cancel any inflight operations - use the command:

nbstlutil stlilist -image_incomplete -lifecycle SLP_SAP_shortterm

This will give you the list of backup ID that are using these. Assuming you don't mind losing these backups use the command against the list:
bpexpdate -d 0 -force_not_complete -backupid <BackupID>

This should then allow you to delete the SLP version and continue.

If you need to delete the MSDP and rebuild, you will also need to make sure that all images on it have also been deleted (you won't be able to delete the disk pool and storage server until you do this). 

Cheers
David

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

davidmoline
Level 6
Employee

HI @Kritix 

To answer your questions, no it is not possible to force delete a SLP version that has active operations.It should be possible to modify the STU for the backup operation (as long as the substitute is the correct type - ie supports acellerator if needed etc. nbstl will let you know if the replacement STU is not okay).

To be able to delete a SLP version you need to cancel any inflight operations - use the command:

nbstlutil stlilist -image_incomplete -lifecycle SLP_SAP_shortterm

This will give you the list of backup ID that are using these. Assuming you don't mind losing these backups use the command against the list:
bpexpdate -d 0 -force_not_complete -backupid <BackupID>

This should then allow you to delete the SLP version and continue.

If you need to delete the MSDP and rebuild, you will also need to make sure that all images on it have also been deleted (you won't be able to delete the disk pool and storage server until you do this). 

Cheers
David

I was in bit of a time press, so in the end, i let the SLP run to free it up so i could delete this version and then the storage unit and disk pool and storage server.

But sadly for some reason i am not able to recreate the msdp correctly now, even though i am going trough the wizard exactly the same (apart from actually selecting correct filesystem this time), i am getting error.

Kritix_0-1649999949966.png

I suppose there are some leftovers from the original msdp somewhere that prevents me from recreating it, but i don't know where to check. Any ideas please?

Hi @Kritix 

Try deleting everything in the directory you have specified for the dedupe pool storage (that's my first thought on what isn't right). 

David

Yes, this was actually the issue here, i found out yesterday, but i forgot to come here and post it.

Thank you very much for your advices though, seems the crisis is averted :)