cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can i have a Master server and Media Server on different domains?

aor_manuel
Level 4

Hi,

I would like to confirm if i can have the master server and media server on different domains, both are Windows Server 2012 R2, also i have another server and it is on a workgroup (also it´s gonna be a master server), is this going to work?

Master Server --> Domain 1

Media Server 1 --> Domain 2

Media Server 2 --> Workgroup

I have checked on the regestry HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\VERITAS\NetBackup\CurrentVersion\Config and everything it is fine.

I am attaching a screeshot regarding the error that i am getting.

Thanks a lot for your help.

Regards.

15 REPLIES 15

sdo
Partner    VIP    Certified

Yes, there should be no problems with that - as long as you are referring to "Active Directory" domains.

If you are referring to the notional "domain" of a "master server is chief and media servers and clients are workers", then no.  Media servers can client can only truely belong to one master server, and this we sometimes notionally refer to as a "NetBackup domain".

aor_manuel
Level 4

Thanks a lot.

Do you know the erre that i have attached? could you please give me an advise? also i am not pretty sure about how to add the Media Server to Master server console.

Regards

sdo

Ooops missed that.

Please describe the steps and the inputs that lead to that error?

Thank you.

Will_Restore
Level 6

If you are not using VxSS then set media servers

USE_VXSS = PROHIBITED

https://www.veritas.com/community/forums/118-vxss-authorization-failed

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
As per sdo's post, NBU does not care about AD domains. It needs the following : forward and reverse name lookup between master and media servers as well as port connectivity using PBX (tcp port 1556) in both directions. Depending on the features you will be using, you may need more ports. So, if different AD domains does not allow forward and reverse name lookup, it will be easiest to add hosts entries on master and media servers, followed by clearing of host cache on master and media server. Confirm forward and reverse name lookup with bpclntcmd command in all directions, then port connectivity using bptestbpcd in both directions. Once this is done, you add SERVER entries for media server on the master followed by restart of NBU. Hopefully you have installed media server with master server hostname (not IP) as master and EMM server? This would add SERVER entries correctly on media server and you should be able to test connectivity with bptestbpcd and nbemmcmd commands. You need to tell us what you did to get the VXSS error. You should not see this error unless you tried to configure NBAC.

aor_manuel
Level 4

Hi Marianne,

Thanks a lot for the information.

I am going to confirm you step by step what i have done:

1. I installed Netbackup - Master Server in a Windows server 2012 R2. It is in a domain #1.

2. I installed Netbackup - Media Server in another Windows server 2012 R2. It is in a domain #2.

3. When i opened first time Symantec NetBackup on my Media Server, inmediatly i got the VXSS error but at this time is not showing.

4. I have added the new media server on the master server --> Master Server --> Properties --> Servers

5. The new media server was shown on --> Host Proporties --> Media Servers but it was not accesible, it was showing with a precaution icon.

6. At this moment i do not why but when i go to -->Host Properties --> Media servers  i get this message: "Failed to initialize EMM connection. Verify that network access to  the EMM server is available and that services nbemm and pbx_exchange are running on the EMM server (195)."

I have restart netbackup services but the error is still showing, also i have restared the Master server.

7. I have executed this commands:

- On Master Server

bpclntcmd:  --> expecting response from server masterserver.domain#1.com

bptestbpcd: --> 1 0 2

Master server IP Address: 61631 --> Master server IP Address: 13782

Master server IP Address: 1120   <-- Master server IP Address:61632

- On Media Server

bpclntcmd:  --> expecting response from server masterserver.domain#1.com

MediaServer *NULL* Media server IP Address 63879

bptestbpcd: --> 1 0 2

Media server IP Address: 63882--> Media server IP Address: 13782

Media server IP Address: 4874--> Media server IP Address: 63883

I have read an other comment of you in other forum and i already check this:

Verify Windows firewall is disabled and port 1556 is open in both directions.

Where are you running nbemmcmd command?  it should be run on the master server. It is not possible to see error on media server when running command on master....

I Get this --> Failed to initialize EMM connection.  Verify that network access to the EMM server is available and that the services nbemm and pbx_exchange are running on the EMM server. (195)
Command did not complete successfully.

Please also ensure that UAC is disabled, else start GUI and/or  cmd with right-click, Run As Administrator.

Please let me know if you have any suggest.

Regards.

aor_manuel
Level 4

¨Hi,

I am attaching a screen about the register configuration, please let me know if have to change something:

Thanks

sdo

You should not use any non-alphaumeric characters in NetBackup server "names".  Only use A-Z and a-z and 0-9 and "." and "_" and "-".

However, it is very typical to not use uppercase and only use lowercase.  And underscores are frowned upon too, because some implementations of DNS do not support the use of "_".

And - I'm really struggling to understand why you are in the registry at all.  There should be absolutely no need to be in there, if you installed everything correctly.

I'm beginning to think that you have a DHCP based environment.  This may work for a day or too, and then break.  NetBackup really needs a fixed IP environment.

Did you change the hostname of any servers after installing NetBackup?  This breaks NetBackup, just as it would probably break any other enterprise level network based application.

IMO, I would start all over again.  Scratch and delete everything.  You must read the installation guides.  Set your host names.  Then set fixed IP.  Then install NetBackup Master and only use all lowercase names (a-z, 0-9, ., -) for all server and client names.  Then install Media Serves, then install clients.  Then reboot everything.  If it still fails then it is not a NetBackup issue, and your problems are down to your implementation of your servers and your network.

Installing NetBackup should be one of the easiest steps of NetBackup.  And I very much recommend that you read the installation guide.  It will only take you about 45 minutes to an hour to read, and will probably save you an awful lot of time.

sdo

If you are having to mess around with server names in NetBackup based registry keys after installing, then something has gone very wrong the the server build, network build, and software installation.  There should be 0% need to do what you are doing.  Delete it all and start again.  Follow my outline , here again:

Use only lowercase alpha, 0 to 9, dot "." and hyphen "-" for server names.

Set the server names first.  Reboot the servers.

Set fixed IP.

If you have no DNS, then set hosts files on all servers and clients.

Then install NetBackup - and use only lowercase alpha, 0 to 9, dot "." and hyphen "-" for NetBackup server names.

Marianne

I gave you the base commands hoping that you would at least lookup command usage.

Firstly, test forward and reverse name lookup with bpclntcmd.

On master
bpclntcmd -hn <media-server-name>
bpclntcmd -ip <media-server-IP>

On media server:

bpclntcmd -hn <master-server-name>
bpclntcmd -ip <master-server-IP>

See this TN:
How to verify name resolution for NetBackup (tm) systems, using the "bpclntcmd" command 
http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH27430 

Secondly, test port connectivity with bptestbpcd.
Create these log folders under ...\netbackup\logs\ on master and media server:
bpcd
admin

On master:
bptestbpcd -host <media-server-name> -debug -verbose

Please post output and log files (see *** below)

On media server:
bptestbpcd -host <master-server-name> -debug -verbose

Please post output and log files (see *** below)

Thirdly, check EMM config and connectivity with nbemmcmd:
On master server:
nbemmcmd -listhosts -verbose
nbemmcmd -getemmserver

Please post output of commands.

*** log files:
Please copy log files to match host and process, e.g.
master-admin.txt
master-bpcd.txt
media-admin.txt
media-bpcd.txt

Upload logs as File attachments.

aor_manuel
Level 4

Hi Marianne,

About your comment --> I gave you the base commands hoping that you would at least lookup command usage.

I did, i was looking for the command usage, this is my first time using this product, i am sorry if i do not know or understand everything about it.

Thanks and regards.

aor_manuel
Level 4

Hi,

Thanks a lot, i am going to try this and then i will let you know.

Regards.

sdo

The commands reference guide is here:

NetBackup 7.7 Commands Reference Guide

https://www.veritas.com/support/en_US/article.DOC8601

aor_manuel
Level 4

No, i did not, i finally foud it.

Thanks a lot for confirm the reference guide.

I am starting all over again like you suggested me, i will let you know what that i getting.

Marianne

My previous post with detailed commands should help to get this issue resolved.

PS:

You can find links to all manuals in 'Handy NBU Links' in my signature.