Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can i use multiple HBA on SAN client to transfer the data at same time

Abhisheknetback
Level 6
Certified

Dear Frineds,

I have a quiry , Can i configure and use multiple HBA on SAN client to transfer the data at same time to FT media server ,

SAN clinet OS is HP-UX

FT Media server OS is Linux

Master Server is Windows 2008 R2 Enterprise.

NBU version is 7.6.0.4 On master

ON FT media NBU version is 7.5.0.5

On san client NBU version is 7.5.0.5 .

Please suggest .

Thank You !!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

RiaanBadenhorst
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Stream distribution
When multiple streams are used from a client with more than 1 HBA port, the jobs are distributed in a round robin fashion with one stream being assigned to each port in turn. E.g. if 4 jobs are run using 2 ports then job1 will use port 1, job 2 will use port 2, job 3 will share port 1 with job 1 and job 4 will share port 2 with job 2. This means that as job streams complete and new job streams do not take their place the ports will be under-utilized in the same way that tape drives using multiplexing may be under utilized as the number of concurrent jobs decreases.

So it would be possible to have 4 ports configured on the client talking to 4 ports on the media server.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

RiaanBadenhorst

Hi,

How many ports do you have available on your FT media server?

And, why are you asking? What performance is your client/server providing now?

By default, SAN Clients supports a maximum of two Fiber Transport ports at any given time; this allows FT Media Servers to balance an I/O load fairly among multiple SAN Clients.
If a particular client requires a higher Quality of Services than is provided by two Fiber Channel ports then it is possible to increase the number of ports per server the client is allowed to use by executing the following command.
nbftconfig -changeclient -np 4 -C <clientName>
The above command changes the number of ports for the specific client <clientName>.

To change it for all clients the setconfig option is used:
nbftconfig –setconfig –np 4

Note that setting –np 4 will have no effect on a client that only has a 2 port HBA.

Abhisheknetback
Level 6
Certified

Hi Riaan,

What My managment wants to know that if we have two HBA on san client and all path is configured after that if backup start data transfer will begin in round robin fasssion or it will use one or two required path and rest will seat idele .

as i guss round robin is not available however you suggest .

Thank You !!

RiaanBadenhorst

Stream distribution
When multiple streams are used from a client with more than 1 HBA port, the jobs are distributed in a round robin fashion with one stream being assigned to each port in turn. E.g. if 4 jobs are run using 2 ports then job1 will use port 1, job 2 will use port 2, job 3 will share port 1 with job 1 and job 4 will share port 2 with job 2. This means that as job streams complete and new job streams do not take their place the ports will be under-utilized in the same way that tape drives using multiplexing may be under utilized as the number of concurrent jobs decreases.

So it would be possible to have 4 ports configured on the client talking to 4 ports on the media server.

Abhisheknetback
Level 6
Certified

But it is usefull only in case of multi streem jobs , it will not be profitable in case of single stream job ??

Thank You !!

RiaanBadenhorst

No, a job cannot be split across ports.