cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't Reduce Logging Level

GlennG-NB
Level 4

Support had me turn logging up all the way to help troubleshoot.  When we were done collecting logs, I set the global logging level to zero and set all the other logs to the global level.  Regardless, the disk in the server filled up with logs in five days.  I've tried restarting NetBackup services and rebooting the server.  It's still logging away like Paul Bunyan.  How do you get it back to level zero?  NetBackup 7.5 on Windows 2003.  Thanks.

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

SymTerry
Level 6
Employee Accredited

Hello,

You will want to also verify that you disabled unified logging, refer to HOWTO34327for information on unified logging

If everything is disabled, what log folders are filling up? 

View solution in original post

RamNagalla
Partner    VIP    Certified

what are the logs that you are referring about?

are they legecy logs.. like bprd, bpdbm etc.. located in Installpath\veritas\netbackup\logs

if yes,, you can delete the log directory that is consuming the more space. that willl stop logging for that specific process..

if you are referring about the unified logs starts with nbXXXX , like nbpem,nbrb etc..

then you need to recude the log debug level and diagonistic level to get them in contorl..

vxlogcfg -a --prodid 51216 --orgid ALL -s DebugLevel=0 -s DiagnosticLevel=1

and also enable the logrecyle  so that they can get deleted automatically..

vxlogcfg -a --prodid 51216 --orgid 111 -s RolloverMode=FileSize -s MaxLogFileSizeKB=5120  -s numberOfLogFiles=5 -s LogRecycle=True

Check the tech note Provided by SymTerry for this 

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=HOWTO34327

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

SymTerry
Level 6
Employee Accredited

Hello,

You will want to also verify that you disabled unified logging, refer to HOWTO34327for information on unified logging

If everything is disabled, what log folders are filling up? 

CHONG_WU
Level 5

What's the default logging level and how to restore the default?

RamNagalla

what are the logs that you are referring about?

are they legecy logs.. like bprd, bpdbm etc.. located in Installpath\veritas\netbackup\logs

if yes,, you can delete the log directory that is consuming the more space. that willl stop logging for that specific process..

if you are referring about the unified logs starts with nbXXXX , like nbpem,nbrb etc..

then you need to recude the log debug level and diagonistic level to get them in contorl..

vxlogcfg -a --prodid 51216 --orgid ALL -s DebugLevel=0 -s DiagnosticLevel=1

and also enable the logrecyle  so that they can get deleted automatically..

vxlogcfg -a --prodid 51216 --orgid 111 -s RolloverMode=FileSize -s MaxLogFileSizeKB=5120  -s numberOfLogFiles=5 -s LogRecycle=True

Check the tech note Provided by SymTerry for this 

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=HOWTO34327

GlennG-NB
Level 4

Some of the affected logs are beds, bpbrm, bpcd, bpdbm, nbemm, nbevtmgr, nbjm and nbrb.  For example, nbemm was about 15 MB per day, but now it is 850 MB per day.  Likewise, nbevtmgr was 6 KB; now it is 90 MB.

I don't understand why the logging levels are still set to 5 when I reset them to zero in the Administration Console.  I did not use vxlogcfg to change the levels, so why should I need it to change them back?

Chong Wu, that is another good question.

GlennG-NB
Level 4

Whoops, I just noticed that I did use the vxlogcfg command to increase logging.  We are doing some more troubleshooting today, but I'll let you know what happens when we're finished and I use vxlogcfg to reduce the unified logging level.  

RamNagalla

do make sure you have set the log recycle too..

log recyle will automate the log cleaning.. which will make sure that the logs are not exeeding the specified size..

mph999
Level 6
Employee Accredited

vxlog levels should only be changed with vslogcfg command, editting the nblog.conf file will corrupt things.

However, you can vie this file to check what the log levels are set to, also, the default log levels can be seen at the top of the file.  The nblog.conf file is in the netbackup dir.

GlennG-NB
Level 4

Everything is back to normal today.  After collecting troubleshooting logs, I again set the global logging level to zero and set all other logs to the global level in the Administration Console.  Then I ran this command to reduce unified logging:

<install path>\netbackup\bin\vxlogcfg -a -p 51216 -o ALL -s DebugLevel=0 -s DiagnosticLevel=0