cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't create OST/Data Domain storage unit

zmlat
Level 4

I am running NBU 7.6.0.4 (Windows master) and just added a new linux media server. I've done this many times, but I'm not sure if I forgot a step...

- new media server shows up as active on Devices > Media servers

- I can connect from Host Properties > Media Servers

I ran the 2 commands on the media server (tpconfig and nbcreatests) to add the credentials for the boost user, and I added the host on the DD side to be allowed access to the ifgroup associated with the boost user.

Yet when I go to create a storage unit for that new media server to access an existing disk pool, I don't see it as an available media server in the  Media Server section in the New Storage Unit gui. There is only one media server that I can select for the "Only use the folowing media servers". I've restarted all the services on the master and still have the same issue. Did I miss a step?

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Update...

After using different keywords, I found the same issue. Evidently, I have to add the media server in the Credentials > Storage Servers section for the specfiic DD. 

Side note...that failed since the communication to the DD is in a closed network, using a different NIC on the media server. Had to add the primary nic hostname as a media server on the master to get around that. See https://www.veritas.com/support/en_US/article.000085204

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

watsons
Level 6

Does "nbemmcmd -listhosts -verbose" show that new media server? 

If not (but it should!), you need to use "nbemmcmd -addhost..." to add it into EMM

If it does, what is its status?

Sometimes the status could be "not connected" or "administrative pause", you will need to change it by doing:

nbemmcmd -updatehost -machinetype media -machinename <mediaserver_host> -machinestateop  <state> 

(check out the available <state> when you run nbemmcmd -updatehost -help)

Thanks for the reply Watson.

Media server shows up and is showing "active for disk jobs" in "Machinestate". One thing I do notice is the "MachineFlags" = 0, where  the other media servers, its "0x77"....

NBEMMCMD, Version: 7.6.0.4
The following hosts were found:

notworkingmediaserver.mydomain.com
ClusterName = ""
MachineName = "notworkingmediaserver.mydomain.com"
FQName = "notworkingmediaserver.mydomain.com"
LocalDriveSeed = ""
MachineDescription = ""
MachineFlags = 0
MachineNbuType = media (1)
MachineState = active for disk jobs (12)
MasterServerName = "nbmaster.mydomain.com"
NetBackupVersion = 7.6.0.4 (760400)
OperatingSystem = linux (16)
ScanAbility = 5

workingmediaserver.mydomain.com
ClusterName = ""
MachineName = "workingmediaserver.mydomain.com"
FQName = "workingmediaserver.mydomain.com"
LocalDriveSeed = ""
MachineDescription = ""
MachineFlags = 0x77
MachineNbuType = media (1)
MachineState = active for disk jobs (12)
MasterServerName="nbmaster.mydomain.com"
NetBackupVersion = 7.6.0.4 (760400)
OperatingSystem = linux (16)
ScanAbility = 5

Update...

After using different keywords, I found the same issue. Evidently, I have to add the media server in the Credentials > Storage Servers section for the specfiic DD. 

Side note...that failed since the communication to the DD is in a closed network, using a different NIC on the media server. Had to add the primary nic hostname as a media server on the master to get around that. See https://www.veritas.com/support/en_US/article.000085204