cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't delete SQL instance

Hamza_H
   VIP   

Dear Voxers,

I have a question regarding sql instances, when we try to delete a inactive instance that is registered in netbackup, we got the error : "Error deleteing instances, status code 179, Unable to delete the asset, Backup images exist for the asset".

The instance is not a part of any policy (I checked with bppliist).

We do have backups that are in tapes and in the catalog with retention of 10years.

Do you confirm that as long as we have backups for an instance, we can't delete it? it is because it is used in case we want to restore?

I didn't find anything regarding the error (EC 179 - in RefGuide_statusCode) doesn't have the same error message)

Nor in SQL guide regarding deleting instances.

Thanks,

Netbackup Version 9.1.0.1.

4 REPLIES 4

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

Hi @Hamza_H 

I am not SQL expert, but from the error message, it does sound like you can't delete the sql instance when active backup exists.

Can you test the theory on a test system / test sql instance ?

/Nicolai

Hamza_H
   VIP   

Hello @Nicolai ,

Thank you for your answer, 

Unfortunately I don't have a test system on which I can do tests..

I think the message is normal, as long as we have SQL backups in the catalog we cannot delete the instance, maybe we could in prior versions because there wasn't this concept of "Asset" for SQL..

I hope someone from Veritas could help us with this//

In the SQL guide, to delete an instance, it says all what you have to do is to make sure the instance isn't part of a backup policy then go ahead and delete it... there is nothing regarding existing backups..

Michal_Mikulik1
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Hello,

I am not also familiar with this message, but the term "asset" indicates that it is probably the webUI console and/or Protection Plans related stuff. Refer to webUI MSSQL Guide.

Regards

Michal

Hamza_H
   VIP   

Hi @Michal_Mikulik1 

Actually that is what is confusing me, here is what I found in the WebUi guide fore SQL:

Remove SQL Server instances

Use this procedure to remove the instances that no longer exist in your environment.

To remove a SQL Server instance

1. On the left, click Workload > Microsoft SQL Server, then click the Instances tab.
  2. Locate and select the checkbox for the instance.
  3. Click Remove.

Note:

If you remove an instance, all assets that are associated with the deleted instance are no longer protected. You can still recover existing backup images, but backups of the instance fail.