cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't kill jobs

Doug_Klein_2
Level 3
Tracker shows 2 backups in progress but no jobs are running in Activity Monitor or on the media server and Task Manager shows nothing. I've cycled the client service but I can't get rid of the jobs. I get a '41' if try to run another backup of the same volume.

A reboot is not an option at this time.
13 REPLIES 13

patrickkuah
Level 6
kill tracker.exe in the task manager and try rerun the job again

patrickkuah

Stumpr2
Level 6
yes kill it ...and then bury it!

DOCUMENTATION: How to disable the Client Job Tracker on a NetBackup client
http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/267253.htm

Disabling the Job Tracker from starting automatically

The method to disable tracker from starting automatically is different, depending upon the version of the NetBackup client.

NetBackup 3.4 and 4.5
Within NetBackup 3.4 and 4.5, the tracker is simply placed in the Windows Startup group. To disable it, remove it from the startup group:

1. Click Start on the Windows Start Menu
2. Click Programs and then Startup
3. Delete the tracker from this list

NetBackup 5.x
Within NetBackup 5.x, the Job Tracker is no longer found in the Windows Startup section. It must be disabled from within the registry, using the following steps:

1. From the Windows Start menu, click Start | Run
2. Run Regedit
3. Browse to the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run key in the left hand pane of regedit
4. In the right hand pane, delete the value for VERITAS NetBackup Client Job Tracker
5. Close the registry editor

Warning: Incorrect use of the Windows registry editor may prevent the operating system from functioning properly. Great care should be taken when making changes to a Windows registry. Registry modifications should only be carried out by persons experienced in the use of the registry editor application. It is recommended that a complete backup of the registry and workstation be made prior to making any registry changes.

Subsequent patches or installs performed on the client may result in the tracker automatically starting again. If this is encountered, perform the steps outlined in this document to remove it again.

patrickkuah
Level 6
for better performance too... follow the steps given by Bob, dont ever let tracker run..

Tim_Dile
Level 5
So this is run by default? 5.1 MP3 - Whoops too late now.

When I look at the clients I'm sure i don't see the tracker running in the bottom left hand taskbar. You've got to run it from the netbackup menu to start it.....

Tim_Dile
Level 5
And you sure its not bpkar.exe or something. I've used pspkill and it did kill the job after 10 mins or so. NBU must be stupid even if you stop the service on the client you can't kill it!

patrickkuah
Level 6
Tracker was enabled to run whenever the server is restarted in NBU4.5 but after upgrading to 5.1 and 5.1MP3 in our environment, i found out that most of our clients hav the tracker disbled automatically.

well....Just ensure that it will not start whenver server restart will do :)

Netbackup Tracker = tracker.exe (is not bpkar.exe)

patrick

Stumpr2
Level 6
So Klein,
Have you removed tracker.exe as suggested?
Has this thread been answered?Message was edited by:
Bob Stump

David_Franco
Level 2
Here is what I did to make it easy...

make a .reg file with the info between the lines in it to delete the entry:

---------
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

"VERITAS NetBackup Client Job Tracker"=-
---------

Make a batch file with the following lines like this:

------
pskill tracker.exe
RemoveNetBackupTracker.reg
------

note:you will need to download pskill for free or just use plain kill.

Put all the files in the same directory and run the batch file whenever you want to kill and remove tracker.

Doug_Klein_2
Level 3
Disabled tracker as recommended.

rishi_rich
Level 5

How can kill this process on Linux machine.My task progress shows some job got hanged and i can'nt delete it.I am working on netbackup 6 MP4 on linux 3.5.

Also my drives are getting down continuosly.

Please help

rishi nandedkar

rishi_rich
Level 5
Hello.
Its been one month i asked question..can sombody help me out...??

scorpy_582
Level 6
Hi,

Linux does not have a tracker. The tracker concept is only for windows. So the root cause of drives going down could be something else.

Please provide detailed description of the problem.

If you are experiencing problem with cancelling the jobs, then look at the following paths:
/usr/openv/netbackup/db/jobs/trylogs
/usr/openv/netbackup/db/jobs/ffilelogs

which might have stale entries.

Stumpr2
Level 6
Rishi,
Please create a new thread for your problem.
It does not have any relationsship with the original thread. Thanks :)