cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't read from new standalone drive

Frank666
Level 4

Hi

I am running NetBackup 6.5.4 on a Windows Server 2008 (64bits) server.

I am testing a Disaster Recovery solution.   Usually I have a Robotic Library attached to my Master server.   When I add new tapes or when I need to do a restore I just run the Inventory Robot so NetBackup knows which tapes are in

Now I installed a new Ultirium 3000 SAS drive on my master.  I want to use that to read my catalogue backup in the event that I can't use my robotic library

I installed the new drive and I ran the Configure Storage Wizard.   

Now I am stuck and I don't know what to do next.   How can I tell NetBackup to go read my catalogue tape that is present in the new drive?    Since the new drive is not a robot (it's a standalone) I don't see it as an option when I use the inventory robot utility.

Thanks in advance

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Mark_Solutions
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

When you try the restore (assume you mean a catalog recovery) the status of the job will say something like "pending mount request"

Go into device monitor and in the bottom pane you will see a pending request.

Drag the request onto the standalone drive two panes above it to satisfy the request

This tells NetBackup that the tape in the drive relates to your request and it should start to read it

Hope this helps

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

mph999
Level 6
Employee Accredited
Just put the tape in the drive, the media header will be read automatically after a short time, 20 seconds or so. To check, run vmoprcmd and you will see the media id in the output. Martin

Yasuhisa_Ishika
Level 6

After you get media id of the tape following Martin's post, just add it into NetBackup manually.
Open [Media and Device Management]-[Media], click add volumes icon, and enter media id that you have checked by vmoprcmd. Robot type must be NONE for standalone drives.

Frank666
Level 4

Thanks for your reply guys

When I run vmoprcmd I got this:

Device Name                    Label     Ready     RecMID     ExtMID     Wr.Enbl     Type
     Host                                      Drive Path                                                  Status
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
HP.ULTRIUM5-SCSI.000     No         Yes                                          Yes        hcart2
     MyMasterServer                      {3,0,5,0}                                                       AVR

I tried to run a restore from the tape that is currently in the standalone drive and NetBackup is waiting for the tape forever.   For some reason, NetBackup don't know that the tape is in the standalone drive

Thanks

Mark_Solutions
Level 6

When you try the restore (assume you mean a catalog recovery) the status of the job will say something like "pending mount request"

Go into device monitor and in the bottom pane you will see a pending request.

Drag the request onto the standalone drive two panes above it to satisfy the request

This tells NetBackup that the tape in the drive relates to your request and it should start to read it

Hope this helps

mph999
Level 6
Employee Accredited

Once the tape is in the drive, it will take a short time before it is detected.

If you load the tape and then run vmoprmd, you may not see the tape id.

It says wr. enbl (yes) - so I think the tape is in the drive.

What should happen, is that after 30-40 seconds, the header is read on the tape and you will see the media id in the vmoprcmd output, like in this example :

I load a tape and run vmoprcmd straight away ....

Drive Name               Label   Ready  RecMID  ExtMID  Wr.Enbl.  Type

Host                       DrivePath                            Status
=============================================================================
HP.C5713A.000            No      No                     No        4mm
    womble                     /dev/rmt/0cbn                        TL4

HP.DAT72X6.000           No      No                     No        4mm
    womble                     /dev/rmt/1cbn                        TL4

I wait a short time and run it again ...

Drive Name               Label   Ready  RecMID  ExtMID  Wr.Enbl.  Type
    Host                       DrivePath                            Status
=============================================================================
HP.C5713A.000            Yes     Yes    R1TP00          Yes       4mm
    womble                     /dev/rmt/0cbn                        TL4

HP.DAT72X6.000           No      No                     No        4mm
    womble                     /dev/rmt/1cbn                        TL4

Now we see the  tape media id.

But look, on my first output, although th etape was in the drive, it didn't show as write enabled,  this only went to yes when it read the header.  But, your outut is showing as write enabled, which means, at least compared to mine that it should have read the tape header, but it has not - this could be because the tape has no header, that is, it is the wrong tape - it seems to have no header ...

Martin

Frank666
Level 4

When I tried the what Mark_solution suggested NetBackup was able to start reading the tape.

I was able to successfully import my catalog and test my DR solution

Thanks a lot!