cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can we backup VM on ESX 4.1 with NetBackup 7.6 ?

Gdd
Level 6
Partner Accredited

ESX 4.1 seems not supported by NBU 7.6 because NBU 7.6 uses VMware VDDK 5.5.

However, it is not supported but maybe it works...

Does anyone tested this?
Are there any workaround for this problem?

11 REPLIES 11

inn_kam
Level 6
Partner Accredited

DOCUMENTATION: Support for NetBackup 7.x in virtual environments (updated November 20, 2014).

Article:TECH127089  |  Created: 2010-01-08  |  Updated: 2014-11-20  | 

Article URL http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH127089

pAGE 17

NetBackup for VMware Compatibility
The following topics describe NetBackup for VMware support. NetBackup for
VMware protects VMware virtual machines by integrating with VMware vStorage
APIs for Data Protection.
Note the following about VMware updates:
■ VMware updates to vSphere 4 and 5 are supported, unless otherwise noted.
■ vCloud Director 5.1.x and 5.5.x updates are supported, unless otherwise noted.

7.6.0.3  ,7.6.0.4 SUPPORTS 

vSphere 5.0, 5.1, 5.5, and all 5.1, 5.5
of their update releases.
For more information on
VMware's VDDK support,
see the VMware VDDK 5.5.1
release notes.

Gdd
Level 6
Partner Accredited

In VDDK 5.5.1 release nores (used by NetBackup 7.6):
===
The VMware policy concerning backward and forward compatibility is for VDDK to support N-2 and N+1 releases. In other words, VDDK 5.5 and all of its update releases support vSphere 5.0, 5.1, and 6.0 (except new features).

And in VDDK 5.0 (used by NetBackup 7.5):
===
VDDK 5.0 adds support for ESXi 5.0 and vCenter Server 5.0, and now works with the following VMware platform products:

• ESX/ESXi versions: 5.0, 4.1, 4.0, and 3.5
  • vCenter Server versions: 5.0, 4.1, and 4.0 managing ESX/ESXi 3.5 and later
  • VirtualCenter version: 2.5 managing ESX/ESXi 3.5
  •  

So, can I use a NetBackup 7.6 as master / media and a separate backup host in NetBackup 7.5 to backup an ESX 4.1 ?

inn_kam
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Well just use latest version 7.6.0.4 And it supports all your ESX versions

Gdd
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Can you confirm that with NBU 7.6.0.4, you backup VM with ESX 4.1 and ESX 3.5.

Thank you.

inn_kam
Level 6
Partner Accredited
all the details are present in above link See page 37 the compatibility of NB 7.6 with NB 7.5 AND 7.1 Host for VCB Backup and VCB Restore and all details are present So as u asked regarding NB 7.5 Host for taking ESX 4.1 and 3.5 its possible as per the page no. 37 Of above updated document linking again DOCUMENTATION: Support for NetBackup 7.x in virtual environments (updated November 20, 2014). Article:TECH127089 | Created: 2010-01-08 | Updated: 2014-11-20 | Article URL http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH127089

Gdd
Level 6
Partner Accredited

I know what is written in the documentation, but I look for people who have experienced concretely solutions to save ESX 4.1 and 3.1 with a Masters / Media 7.6 ...

Have you really used it?

Dollypee
   VIP    Certified

Hi Gdd, ESX 4.1 is supported under netbackup 7.6.0.1.( Am currently running this in my environment). But not in 7.6.0.2 and up. One other option we are leveraging per symantec directory is to set up a dedicated media server running supported netbackup version ( in this case 7.6.0.1 Vs ESX/ESXi 4.1). This way, you will be able to protect ESX 4.1 even if your master server is running 7.6.0.2 and up.

AV77
Level 4

Hi Dolly, Gdd, inn_kam,

Thanks for the discussion inputs!

I am facing the same issue having NBU 7.6.1.1 Master and a large ESX/ESXi 4.1 farm. From what I am reading if I back the VMware with NBU 7.6.0.1 Media Servers it should work.

Any problems with the support of the config?

Thanks!

AV77
Level 4

Got an answer from the Product Management that the configuration is supported.

sdo
Partner    VIP    Certified

v7.6.0.1 is starting to get a bit long in the tooth, and is 5 or 6 patch revisions behind now...

...so I would also consider reviewing the contents of the latest revision of the v7.6 EEB guide, here:

https://support.symantec.com/en_US/article.DOC6085.html

...to check for any issues related to VMware backups discovered since v7.6.0.1 was released, to see if any of this issues represent a real problem for you or not.  HTH.

Dollypee
   VIP    Certified

Hi AV77,

I just completed upgrading of my Production master server VMware domain to 7.6.1.1 and provisioned a separate dedicated media server running 7.6.0.1 to cater for my ESX4.1.  Everything is running good . backup/restore are all running fine.