cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can we configure backup on IPV6 Processs & limitation

knbu
Level 4

Hello All,

We have received a request to take a backup but the client (Linux) are configuered on IPV6 not on IPV4. Can we take a backup of those IPv6 host & if so what is the process to configure the same or limitation for this kind of backup request

I need help to understand IPV6 backup configuration stepes as i never did this in my past.

My environment is on Netbackup 7.6.0.1

Operating system is Solaris 11

Client Is on Linux 6.2 & using IPV6 interface as a data ip.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

revarooo
Level 6
Employee

This is all down to how you configure your systems, not NetBackup. NetBackup will work with IPv4 or IPv6

About NetBackup's IPv6 support

http://www.symantec.com/docs/HOWTO70444

Also check NetBackup 7.6 Release notes page 123  (listed under Release Notes)

www.symantec.com/docs/DOC6488

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

revarooo
Level 6
Employee

This is all down to how you configure your systems, not NetBackup. NetBackup will work with IPv4 or IPv6

About NetBackup's IPv6 support

http://www.symantec.com/docs/HOWTO70444

Also check NetBackup 7.6 Release notes page 123  (listed under Release Notes)

www.symantec.com/docs/DOC6488

knbu
Level 4

Hello, The host dont have IPV4 configured , its contain only IPV6. I tried to check connectivity but its not done as my backup environment is set on IPV4. I need to know how to configure the IPV6 with my backup infra & is there any limitation for the same. Also my network team need some inputs to make it rechable with backup infra.

revarooo
Level 6
Employee

It's all in the documentation. If you are using IPv6 on one system and IPv4 on another (but not IPv6) it won't be able to talk to the IPv6 configured system.

This is outside of NBU

NBU works perfectly fine with IPv6, just as it always has with IPv4!

knbu
Level 4

Hello Revaroo, You mean to say if backup server is IPV4 & host ip is IPV6 its not communicating with each other ? Is this the limitation with netbackup product ?

revarooo
Level 6
Employee

No this is a limitation with the networking level with the OS. If you have IPv6 only on one host (but not IPv4) and IPv4 enabled only on another host, they can't talk to each other. The IPv4 host has to have IPv6 enabled.

Think of it like a French speaker only talking to an English speaker - They can't communicate.

But a French speaker (IPv6) talking to an English/French speaker (IPv4 and IPv6) can communicate

knbu
Level 4

Yes, Understood. But if i enable the IPV6(on my backup server) will it affect to other configuered setup? Just a doubt.

knbu
Level 4

Just a quick update, The IPV6 can be enable on my backup setup.Please let me know that IPV6 configuration can enable online without any downtime ?

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

As per revaroo's previous posts - networking configuration is outside of NBU. 
So, you need to discuss this with your OS and network admins.