cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can we install Netbackup 7.0 in a Solaris 10 Zone?

Trevor_Jackson1
Level 4
Partner
 Hi eversotechypeople,

I was wondering if anyone had any tips for evaluation of NBU 7.0

We would like to create a Solaris 10 zone on our NBU 6.5 Master server and install NBU 7.0 on there to test. So we have a few questions:

If we create a zone, take NBU 6.5 offline and then install NBU 7.0 on the new zone, will it be able to see the hardware to perform a valid test of functionality?

Thanks

Trevor
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

mrmuggyd
Level 2
That's the foundations of zones.  We use zones for all of our applications running on Solaris 10.  Much faster to reboot a zone than to reboot the entire system.  DNS can get a little tricky.  We just setup DNS in the Global and point the non-global zones to the Global for DNS.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

Anonymous
Not applicable
I am evaluating NB7.0 in a virtual environment. Installed Master server on VM and set aside a Disk Storage Unit. Created policy and added client(s), fired off the backup policy.
Principaly I see this as a valid evaluation or exposure at least, without impacting current configuration - environment.
As long as the hardware you intend to run NB7.0 is in the 7.0 HCL matrix

(I am not familiar with the Solaris Zone however.)

Trevor_Jackson1
Level 4
Partner
 Solaris Zones

Solaris Zones are similar to virtual servers, we create a global zone in the physical server, it shares CPU & Memory just like a host server would. 

However, I wanted to know if the zone would be able to access the hardware, I guess I will ask Sun (now Oracle) for that answer.

mrmuggyd
Level 2
That's the foundations of zones.  We use zones for all of our applications running on Solaris 10.  Much faster to reboot a zone than to reboot the entire system.  DNS can get a little tricky.  We just setup DNS in the Global and point the non-global zones to the Global for DNS.

So why are you posting an answer if you don't know about Zones?

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
There is no point in resurrecting a 7-year-old post.