cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can we retrospectively replicate backup images to another master

data-backup
Level 4

Hello,

I have searched quite a bit on this and this probably isnt possible but still want a confirmation. Is it possible to replicate existing backup images of clients in a backup policy through a SLP or manually to another site.Thanks.

Netbackup version 7.5.0.6 on windows 2008R2 Enterprise

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

sdo
Partner    VIP    Certified

...some notes...

Testing Manual Replication (push) From master01 To master02

FYI - nbreplicate is a push type command, it is issued on the master server of the source domain.

nbreplicate commands can only be issued on master (master/media) servers, not on media servers.

nbreplicate requires that SLP exists on target NetBackup domain with an 'Import' stage.

Firstly, we need the de-dupe password of the target master02...

CLIsh / Appliance / ShowDedupPassword

...which is used as '-target_pwd' in the nbreplicate command below.

...if data classification is different between source backup, and the SLP import on the target NetBackup domain, then you will need to specify the data classification of the SLP on the target domain, using the '-dc' switch...

...on sending master01:

nbreplicate -backupid master01_1409999999 -cn 1 -rcn 102 -slp_name SLP_AIR_from_01_to_02 -dc Silver -v -target_sts master02 -target_user root -target_pwd ****

...after a few minutes, on receiving master02, check for pending imports:

nbstlutil pendimplist

...FYI - If you push/replicate a backup image that contains a BMR portion, then after import a restore job will automatically run on the receiving master to populate the BMR client details.

...have tested:

- push from  MSDP  on master01  to  MSDP on master02  worked ok  (for an image that was saved via SLP  to MSDP)

- push from  MSDP  on master01  to  MSDP on master02  worked ok  (for an image that was saved straight to MSDP)

- push from  MSDP  on master01  to  MSDP on master02  worked ok  (for an image that was saved straight to adv.disk then manually duplicated to MSDP))

- push from  adv.disk  on master01  to  MSDP on master02  failed with status 228...

...i.e:  Skipping backup id master01_1409999999, fragments exist on media which does not support replication

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

No, it is not possible to re-SLP existing backup images. It is high on the whish list among me and fellow NBU admins.

But you can duplicate existing backup images using command bpduplicate. See the examples in the tech note below.

http://www.symantec.com/docs/HOWTO43654

There is also option in the GUI to perform duplications.

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

data-backup
Level 4

Thank you Nicolai and Marianne. Let me me read up the links you guys have provided.

@Nicolai , duplicate would have to be on the same master , right? We can't duplicate to another, can we

sdo
Partner    VIP    Certified

...some notes...

Testing Manual Replication (push) From master01 To master02

FYI - nbreplicate is a push type command, it is issued on the master server of the source domain.

nbreplicate commands can only be issued on master (master/media) servers, not on media servers.

nbreplicate requires that SLP exists on target NetBackup domain with an 'Import' stage.

Firstly, we need the de-dupe password of the target master02...

CLIsh / Appliance / ShowDedupPassword

...which is used as '-target_pwd' in the nbreplicate command below.

...if data classification is different between source backup, and the SLP import on the target NetBackup domain, then you will need to specify the data classification of the SLP on the target domain, using the '-dc' switch...

...on sending master01:

nbreplicate -backupid master01_1409999999 -cn 1 -rcn 102 -slp_name SLP_AIR_from_01_to_02 -dc Silver -v -target_sts master02 -target_user root -target_pwd ****

...after a few minutes, on receiving master02, check for pending imports:

nbstlutil pendimplist

...FYI - If you push/replicate a backup image that contains a BMR portion, then after import a restore job will automatically run on the receiving master to populate the BMR client details.

...have tested:

- push from  MSDP  on master01  to  MSDP on master02  worked ok  (for an image that was saved via SLP  to MSDP)

- push from  MSDP  on master01  to  MSDP on master02  worked ok  (for an image that was saved straight to MSDP)

- push from  MSDP  on master01  to  MSDP on master02  worked ok  (for an image that was saved straight to adv.disk then manually duplicated to MSDP))

- push from  adv.disk  on master01  to  MSDP on master02  failed with status 228...

...i.e:  Skipping backup id master01_1409999999, fragments exist on media which does not support replication

RiaanBadenhorst
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Excellent info sdo

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

Yes - if you want to replicate across Netbackup domains bpduplicate is not the command you are looking for.

data-backup
Level 4

Thank you for the help. Fortunately or unfortunately I wasn't required to  perform this task but this is excellent information  to keep handy.