cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can you do point in time recovery with Backup Snapshot Client For SQL Server

DavidRobertson
Level 2

We are looking at changing our Netbackup Estate and the way we backup. Currently we back up SQL Server to disk rather than via the client. (It is cheaper)

However it may be worthwhile trying to use the new technologies.

I have already read that the Point in Time Restores are not supported by VMWare backups, however I would like to know if it is possible to apply transaction logs to a backup taken by the "Backup Snapshot Client For SQL Server".

The documentation is not very clear and I can't see how it would be possible.

Any info would be appreciated.

Many thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

RiaanBadenhorst
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Hi David,

We simply interact with the SQL (VDI) APIs to perform the backups. So it really is a SQL backup. Just initiated by someone other that SQL wink

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

RiaanBadenhorst

Hi,

Yes you can , take a look at this note.

http://www.symantec.com/docs/HOWTO85393

FYI, snapshot backups are point in time but I assume you meant can you use snapshot and then apply logs smiley

DavidRobertson
Level 2

Thanks for that Riaan.

I see that in the doc now. I'm a DBA and I have never seen it as possible to apply logs to anything thats not a database backup. It looks like Netbackup has got round that restriction.

I can't see any examples online, so I'll one of our provisioning team to create a POC environment and give it a try.

RiaanBadenhorst

Hi David,

We simply interact with the SQL (VDI) APIs to perform the backups. So it really is a SQL backup. Just initiated by someone other that SQL wink