cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cancelling secondary SLP operation

BTLOMS
Level 5

What happens if I cancel secondary SLp operations? From my understanding, the image will still wait for duplications to complete ( set to expire after copy ) and will kick off another duplication job later. Is this correct?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

D_Flood
Level 6

Are you canceling from the GUI or using NBSTLUTIL?

If you cancel a secondary operation from the GUI then it will be retried - either during the next pass of the replication module or when secondary operation of the SLP is reenabled, whichever is later.

If you cancel it using NBSTLUTIL then it will expire when that copy's retention level is met.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
It will not try again. If you want secondary operation to try again later, just suspend it. If you cancel incomplete SLP, the retention level for the backup copy will apply.

BTLOMS
Level 5

I know i can suspend secondary operation, but once its kicked off, what do I do?

D_Flood
Level 6

Are you canceling from the GUI or using NBSTLUTIL?

If you cancel a secondary operation from the GUI then it will be retried - either during the next pass of the replication module or when secondary operation of the SLP is reenabled, whichever is later.

If you cancel it using NBSTLUTIL then it will expire when that copy's retention level is met.

D_Flood
Level 6

In order to shut down an active SLP, here's the basic steps:

1) Suspend the SLP - either through the GUI or NBSTLUTIL

2) Cancel the jobs - either through the GUI or the command line

3) Use NBSTLUTIL to cancel those pending sub-steps

4) Reactivate the SLP so that other backups which use it can do their thing

NOTE: Once the SLP is suspended, do not edit it in any way until it is reactivated.  Otherwise only the new version will be reactivated and the old suspended version will sit out there until you use NBSTLUTIL to reactivate it.  The GUI can't reactivate an old version of an SLP.

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
I agree - cancel/kill of SLP duplication job in Activity Monitor will result in a retry later on.