cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannot backup *.dll files at C:\Program Files\Common FIles\System\msadc dir

Tan_Hong_King
Level 3
Greetings,

Anyone notice that Netbackup does not backup the "dll" files at C:\Program Files\Common FIles\System\msadc directory ?

I have used Netbackup 5.0MP6 and upgrade to 6.0 but still got this symptoms.

Regards
5 REPLIES 5

Stumpr2
Level 6
NetBackup strips those files from a backup image. I do not know why. I did try to list them individually as backup targets, but still the backup fails. I tried to add them as an "exclude" to the exclude listings (which the double negative acts ike an include_list) and still I wasn't able to back them up. Must be a good reason for Netbackup to strip the files, but I do not know why. Perhaps the reason lies in the purpose of the files. Why do you want a backup image of the files?Message was edited by:
Bob Stump

Tan_Hong_King
Level 3
The dll files are used by some applications in the Windows 2003 server.
When user tried to perform a full system restore to simulate DR, the application cannot run because these dll files are not restored to the c:\program files\common files\system\msadc directory.

These dll files are from the MDAC.

BTW: I tried the native backup program and it still does not backup those dll files.

Regards

Stumpr2
Level 6
well, as a work around, why not simply re-install the program as part of the DR exercise?

Tan_Hong_King
Level 3
Yes. They have a workaround by repairing the MDAC but the end user wanted to know why Netbackup skips those files and reported as backup successful in the Activity Monitor.

The other concern is if the repair of MDAC does not works, the whole DR scenerio will fail.

Regards

Tan_Hong_King
Level 3
The dll files at that particular directory is being backup by the System State.