cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannot cancel a SQL backup

SteveLaw
Level 5

Hi,

We're using Netbackup 7.5.0.5, Win 2008 master server. I'm running a test of a SQL backup of a Windows 2003 server, upon which there are about 25 individual databases. When I run the job there first appears in the activity monitor a backup with the policy name and the SLP "Weekly_Full" for the job schedule, and individual db backups then get their own entry with the job schedule "Default-Application-Backup" one by one as they are backed up.

But I can't kill the job once it gets going. I can cancel the original "Weekly_Full" entry and it shows a red cross against it, but the individual backup jobs continue and new ones regularly appear one by one in the activity monitor. Killing them all as they appear is a real drag. 

Can anyone explain this behaviour to me? Why can't I cancel this whole job? It is just one command being run in the policy, "dbserver_all_SQL.bch" that contains the $ALL command:

OPERATION BACKUP
DATABASE $ALL
SQLHOST "dbserver"
NBSERVER "MASTER1.OURCORP.NET"
MAXTRANSFERSIZE 6
BLOCKSIZE 7
NUMBUFS 2
ENDOPER TRUE

Thanks 

3 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

Mark_Solutions
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

The initial job calls the script on the clients - once that is running it will keep going even if the parent job is killed off

Kiling dbbackex / bpbkar32 on the client / shutting NBU down on the client would be the only way to totally stop it

It is expected behavoir as the parent job just starts a process of client backups from the client

I do agree it is pretty annoying though - especially if you have a lot of databases on the server!

View solution in original post

Will_Restore
Level 6

If you really want to kill backups you can disable NetBackup Client Service on the SQL server.

I suppose once the $ALL request has been sent to the SQL server it handles each piece autonomous of the parent backup task.

Mark_Solutions
Level 6

Or disable the policy until they have all failed - that also works

4 REPLIES 4

Mark_Solutions
Level 6

The initial job calls the script on the clients - once that is running it will keep going even if the parent job is killed off

Kiling dbbackex / bpbkar32 on the client / shutting NBU down on the client would be the only way to totally stop it

It is expected behavoir as the parent job just starts a process of client backups from the client

I do agree it is pretty annoying though - especially if you have a lot of databases on the server!

Will_Restore
Level 6

If you really want to kill backups you can disable NetBackup Client Service on the SQL server.

I suppose once the $ALL request has been sent to the SQL server it handles each piece autonomous of the parent backup task.

Mark_Solutions
Level 6

Or disable the policy until they have all failed - that also works

SteveLaw
Level 5

Thanks for quick responses and several options!