cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannot remove Volume Group (and associated tapes)

Brucecampbell
Level 3

Our Tape Library died and we have got a replacement, however the old tape library still exists in netbackup. If we try and delete the Volume Group associated with it, it fails as there is assigned media in it. Obviously we cannot inventory the old Library (and if we need to use those tapes in a restore we won't as it thinks they are assigned to another drive) 

Do I have to expire all those tapes and then import them back in or is there an easier way?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

When you delete the old library, it will automatically move all the tapes that were in the library and update the location to NONE (location) and -- for Volume Group.

Volume Group simply indicates media type and location. This is automatically updated when tapes are moved in and out of the robot (logically or physically).

Since yours is already physically removed, you need to update the logical portion. 
Deleting the robot will complete the logical portion (move tapes out of robot volume group).
Else, select the tapes in the Volume Group, right-click, select Move, then choose -- or NONE (I don't have a system to see available options). 
Then delete the old robot and tape drives. 

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

Mike_Gavrilov

1. Move all tape to the volume group "---" (it isn't present in configuration but you can use it)

2. Remove old Volume Group.

Do I have to expire all those tapes and then import them back in or is there an easier way?

No!

Marianne

When you delete the old library, it will automatically move all the tapes that were in the library and update the location to NONE (location) and -- for Volume Group.

Volume Group simply indicates media type and location. This is automatically updated when tapes are moved in and out of the robot (logically or physically).

Since yours is already physically removed, you need to update the logical portion. 
Deleting the robot will complete the logical portion (move tapes out of robot volume group).
Else, select the tapes in the Volume Group, right-click, select Move, then choose -- or NONE (I don't have a system to see available options). 
Then delete the old robot and tape drives.