cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Capacity based licensing

iclcz01
Level 4

Hi,

how could I calculate the volume of backups for ordering of capacity based license? Are the Deployment analysis tool in OpsCenter or nbdeployutil command the right tools? How does Symantec determine the right value when a customer wants to buy this license?

I found that this tools do not count all backups I have:

- there are missing all archives, although they contain the only one copy of data (the clients were decommisioned long time ago).

- there is missing one big full backup because the last full backup had size of 0 due to the fact that filesystems were not mounted (previous full backup from last week is good but the tools do not include it)

If I calculate the volume manually, I get much more bigger number then by deployment tools.

Thank you

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Mark_Solutions
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

The nbdeployutil is what is generally used but you will have seen a big explanation and discaimer page!

It uses a 1 month period for its sample which is probably why you have found issues.

If you can work it out yourself then great as that would be the most accurate way but do remember to factor in plenty of growth so that the license sees you through the year.

A new tool is about to be relased but may be Partner based only and not sure if it will do the capacity based part or not.

If you know your environmant and can calculate it exactly manually you cannot do better than that.

Symantec would probably be happy with the nbdeployutil (which OpsCenter uses to do its capacity report) but the actual front end value needs to be right to be legal - so if you work it out as a higher value than the tool so could a set of auditors!

Hope this helps - if in doubt speak to you Symantec Partner for help with the analysis

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

Mark_Solutions
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

The nbdeployutil is what is generally used but you will have seen a big explanation and discaimer page!

It uses a 1 month period for its sample which is probably why you have found issues.

If you can work it out yourself then great as that would be the most accurate way but do remember to factor in plenty of growth so that the license sees you through the year.

A new tool is about to be relased but may be Partner based only and not sure if it will do the capacity based part or not.

If you know your environmant and can calculate it exactly manually you cannot do better than that.

Symantec would probably be happy with the nbdeployutil (which OpsCenter uses to do its capacity report) but the actual front end value needs to be right to be legal - so if you work it out as a higher value than the tool so could a set of auditors!

Hope this helps - if in doubt speak to you Symantec Partner for help with the analysis

iclcz01
Level 4

Thank you for your answer, we will contact our vendor.