cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Capacity license auditing using nbdeployutil ...possible and potentially significant errors ?

Jim-90
Level 6

Can anybody else confirm this behaviour in Front End license spreadsheet generated by nbdeployutil?

From what I can see capacity license auditing using nbdeployutil can give possible and potentially significant errors if you have been doing some maintenance on  policies.

I run nbdeployutil at the start of every month to track front end license usage.  The report is based on one month's history.  I allow for about 10% accuracy as it seems jump around a bit.  The trend line is the important part.

From what I can see if you:

• move a server to a different policy
  • split a large policy into smaller ones
  • rename a policy

These have the potential to give you a misleading result because nbdeployutil doesn't have enough smarts to realise that it is actually counting the data a least twice and possibly multiple times.   This probably can be seen in the Itemized tab of the capacity report.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

nbdeployutil should never be used 'as is'. (See the 'Disclaimer' tab.)
Especially if Oracle and/or other databases are backed up via multiple policies and multiple log backups per day.
Or any situation where a client appears in more than one policy.

I always recommend that Backup Admins use the Itemization column to look for duplicates/overlaps. 
Duplicates can be removed from "Charged Size" column (with a note/reason added in the next column). Doing so will result in more accurate "Charged" size on the Summary tab.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

Marianne
Level 6

nbdeployutil should never be used 'as is'. (See the 'Disclaimer' tab.)
Especially if Oracle and/or other databases are backed up via multiple policies and multiple log backups per day.
Or any situation where a client appears in more than one policy.

I always recommend that Backup Admins use the Itemization column to look for duplicates/overlaps. 
Duplicates can be removed from "Charged Size" column (with a note/reason added in the next column). Doing so will result in more accurate "Charged" size on the Summary tab.

RiaanBadenhorst

Yes if you've done some modifications you should exclude those dates with 

--hoursago

It also gets a bit tricky when you've got backups of a client split between policies. If you're not the admin, its really hard to get a accurate figure without indepth knowledge of the site.

Thanks.  Removing duplicates was my thinking as well.  Looks like I'll have to script it given the length of the itemized tab/worksheet.

Genericus
   VIP   

I have solaris clusters for my oracle databases, so I get the same DB backed up via different servers as the DB moves around, I always have to sort and remove duplicates. 

There is a "feature" where if the VM admins are not tidy, can end up with variances in name between system and system.domain, I have found that if there are mismatches, you can add system to a VM policy, and get both system and system.domain being backed up - again with the duplicates in the report.

I can 10-25% total TB back after clearing duplicates, so it is worth my time to go over the report.

NetBackup 9.1.0.1 on Solaris 11, writing to Data Domain 9800 7.7.4.0
duplicating via SLP to LTO5 & LTO8 in SL8500 via ACSLS