cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Career opportunity.....

mathur_gm
Level 3
Dear Friends,

First of all pardon me if someone feels that this is not the right forum to ask below question.
I am new on this forum. I want to ask this question to experienced people.

Recently I have got new project I my company. Previously I was working on windows server domain, but not on exchange server.

Due to my performance & hard work here, my senior has given me option to work in 2 teams:-

1. NetBackup veritas team [version. 6.5]
                      2. Microsoft Exchange server team [ exchange 2007 ]

I am very much confused which options shall I choose. Both have very good technical infrastructure here in this project.

Some of my friend suggest me for go according to my interest. But I Know abt me that I am the person who can generate interest in any field.
Now question is in above 2 option which has :-

1. Very good market value in future.
2. Money
3. Future growth
Plz guide me for my career …… your sincere reply is anticipated…..

With regards;
Gaurav

16 REPLIES 16

reson8
Level 4
Every company needs backups, having understanding of a backup application will help you in any company.  How ever all companies need email and exchange administrators.  I think they are equally as good for both market value and learning. 

If you like Unix, then I would go for NetBackup. Otherwise you'll be working with purely windows for an Exchange Admin role.

Best bet is to search for jobs in both roles, I would probably put my bet on NetBackup jobs earning more money, but that is just my opinion

Dion
Level 6
Certified
Depends on timing... If you're company is going to lose data in the next while then you should take on NetBackup.  If you want to email everyone after you've restored the data, then you should be the Exchange Admin :)

On a serious note I'm exposed to both in a large organisation so here a couple of my experiences.

1. Exchange is probably more common in most companies so you there will probably be more jobs on the Net.  The problem is is that there are way more Exchange Administrator applying for the same job.
2. NetBackup is more common in companies over a certain size (problem when you're not in larger cities like me).  The smaller companies who use Veritas products generally use Backup Exec or the likes.
3. Once either one of the products has been installed and is running smoothly, there is not much work besides the mundane daily tasks of maintaining the environment.  NetBackup probably has more interactions due to the fact that client need to be managed more hands on.
4. I would say that NetBackup keeps one more busy - not in a bad way.
5. With NetBackup you get to touch more environments and applications (based on what you have in your company) whereas Exchange is mostly limited to messaging related projects.  Even though it's from a backup perspective, you need to have a base understanding of each application that you back up to make sure that you can recover an environment fully.
6. Most Exchange server related issues will be your responsibility whereas most of the NetBackup issues are related to client or network issues.

Both have their positives and negatives and at the end of the day it's a matter of taste.  When the sh...t hits the fan (which it usually does), you will wish that you had chosen the other product.

Good Luck

mathur_gm
Level 3
 Thank you dion & regon.....for your valuable guidance....

If some more persons can give suggestions then It will be really banificial for me to take decision.....

Waiting for your reply..

gaurav

Tejas_Shah
Level 3
Partner Accredited
Go for  NetBackup veritas team

Tejas

rj_nbu
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified
netbackup is cross platform. you will get to learn many new technologies in netbackup team. for example NDMP, PureDisk, Databases, Sharepoint portal , lotus notes, vmware etc.....

More skills means more $$$

-Rajeev

cnull
Level 2

My expereience is that MS Exchange Admins are a dime adozen. I have a friend right now who chose MS Exchange and wishes he hadn't due to the flood of admins around him who compete for his position. It is funny how people will bad mouth you when you are not looking so that they can say they would do a better job than you. That just doesn't happen as much with NBU admins.
Also like the others have said you get a variety of OS's to work with.

Just my option!!

kurmarao
Level 2
Dear friends,

First of all pardon me if someone feels that this is not the right forum to ask below question.
I am new on this forum. I want to ask this question to experienced people.

Recently I have got new project I my company. Previously I was working on windows server domain, but not on exchange server.

Due to my performance & hard work here, my senior has given me option to work in 2 teams:-

1. NetBackup veritas team [version. 6.5]
2. Microsoft Exchange server team [ exchange 2007 ]

I am very much confused which options shall I choose. Both have very good technical infrastructure here in this project.

Some of my friend suggest me for go according to my interest. But I Know abt me that I am the person who can generate interest in any field.
Now question is in above 2 option which has :-

1. Very good market value in future.
2. Money
3. Future growth

Plz guide me for my career …… your sincere reply is anticipated…..

With regards;
rao

Tejas_Shah
Level 3
Partner Accredited
Gaurav we appretiate your concern, however Connect is for Symantec's solutions. Once in a while it's ok. Don't drag it further.

Tejas

rookie11
   VIP   
 its kurmarao who is dragging it further

Memodude01
Not applicable
Dear Gaurav,
Both options are great, but in my opinion and without a doubt go to  1. NetBackup veritas team [version. 6.5]

1. Better market in the future (probably not).
2. Money; Backup and Recovery are better paid than the MS Exchange servers administrators
3. Future Growth; Once you become an advanced NB administrator you can continue growing as a backup architech and you could also learn additional world leading backup tools, network architech, security, multiplatform, become a consultant, disaster recovery planner and tester, etc. growth is unlimited. 

Perharps one day you could restore MS exchange servers as well :)

Overall, despite NB doesn't beat MS exchange in current market oppotunities, NB administrator career is more challenging, more work, more growth and the best of all is MORE FUN!

Good luck !

--Guillermo

Shyam_Prasad
Level 4
Certified
Hi Gaurav,

What Rajeev has suggested is very correct. you will get to learn many new technologies in netbackup team.
This really works and it has worked in my case.

Wish u all the very best...

Thanks
-Jaya

Stumpr2
Level 6

Less headaches and less on-call time :)
For some reason most data owners want weekend full backups.
And if ever there is a 3 day weekend...yep you guessed it. They got to have both a full backup and a restore.
Yes, those events happen in the Exchange world but you would only be concerned with Exchange and not the 35 other servers with diverse applications running on them.

When your thinking of your career don't forget time with family. You might want to move that to the top position.

These words are spoken from the heart of a 50+ old man :)

rookie11
   VIP   
hey bob u mean if given an option in starting of career a person should chose exchange instead of NBU

Stumpr2
Level 6

Ever listen to "The Pretender" by Jackson Browne?

ohzone_-_Cheryl
Level 5
Stumper,

You just made my Friday with that comment. Now I wish I knew where my 8 track tape was...

Cheryl

Turls
Level 6
I see some great democracy in this community..support for the peers, by the peers and of the peers :-). Keep it going.

Thanks.