Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cat_import Requirement

mansoor_sheik
Level 6
Certified

Hi All,

A backup is taken in a server ( server1) which is running Netbackup 7.6 . Used Tape Media for backup ( say ABCD).

If i ship the media to different environment which is runniong 7.6 with the same hostname ( server1)  and the catalog is also copied.

For this scenario, do i need to do cat_import ?

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

RamNagalla
Partner    VIP    Certified

yes it is required..

you need to run the both cat import and cat export command to get the catalogs created in new master server without import 

cat_export on source mater server

cat_import on destination master server

see the below DOC

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH28722

View solution in original post

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Extra tapes for Secondary Environment backup.

Okay - you have 2 live environments. Both doing backups. Right?

This means you cannot use clustering, replication or catalog backup and recover.

It then seems that "recovery without import" is your only possible solution. 
See the pdf in the TN that Nagalla posted: 
http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH28722

As per Changes to partial catalog recovery in NetBackup 7.5 in the doc - just a copy of db/images is no longer sufficient.
You need cat_export to get the header files on the source master and cat_import them on the destination server.

View solution in original post

24 REPLIES 24

mansoor_sheik
Level 6
Certified

i want to know whether copying the catalog manually ( .lck and .f )  will work. OR

I need to a cat_export in the first setup  and cat_import in the secondary setup.

RamNagalla

yes it is required..

you need to run the both cat import and cat export command to get the catalogs created in new master server without import 

cat_export on source mater server

cat_import on destination master server

see the below DOC

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH28722

RiaanBadenhorst

Why dont you just backup the catalog and do a catalog recovery from the media?  This sounds like a regular DR exercise.

mansoor_sheik
Level 6
Certified

Hi Riaan,

Ya.. we need to perfrom the exercise regularly ( on daily basis) .Will copying the Catalog works or cat_import needs to be done.

Marianne
Level 6

Copying just image catalog will not work because of the header files that are moved into EMM database. (Explained in the doc that Nagalla posted.)

You need the cat_export to extract header files and cat_import on other media server.

As per Riaan's post - why not just do catalog backup recovery?

RiaanBadenhorst

Hi,

How are you planning to perform the copy of the catalog?

mansoor_sheik
Level 6
Certified

Hi All,

our Scenario: Currently using 7.1 in both the environment.

Production: Backup is taken in tapes and ship the tapes to secondary site. Catalog will be transferred thro online to secondary setup ( dedicated Link between our Production and Secondary setup site).This is a daily process.

Both the setup has same hostname and version.

Mere transfer of the catalog worked, and we can perform the restoration.

In 7.6, how can we acheive the same.

Catalog backup recovery will be suitable for daily exercise.

RiaanBadenhorst

Hi,

I've done the following on 7.5. It assumes you'll replicate of copy the db/images folder to your other master.

Configure temp staging location on source master (nbdb_admin –vxdbms_nb_staging /staging)

Stop backups (if possible)

Peform a final sync or copy to make sure DR is up to date.

Perform backup of catalog to staging area (nbdb_backup –online <directory>-truncate_tlog)

scp /staging area to target master

Set temp staging location on target master (nbdb_admin –vxdbms_nb_staging /staging)

Perform cat export from temp staging location (cat_export -all -staging –source_master OLDMASTER)

Perform cat import from staging location (cat_import -all –staging)

Verify images (bpimagelist and bplist)

Perform restores

RamNagalla
for your requirement AIR feature would be the best solution...

RiaanBadenhorst

Nagalla, he is using tape not ost disk. AIR wont work.

Jacob_Ruben
Level 4
Certified

Hi,

just in curiosity, if both the production and DR server(Master/Media) has the same hostname&config do we still need to do catalog import and export.

Marianne
Level 6

Nope. 
You will see in my post above that I have suggested catalog backup and restore.

Replication of catalogs can also be done.
Supported replication technologies and HOWTO is listed in NBU HA Guide:  http://www.symantec.com/docs/DOC5183

mansoor_sheik
Level 6
Certified

Hi,

Please find the similarirty and difference betwen the environ.

Similarirty:

Hostname,Netbackup Version,Same set of Tapes( Backup in Primary and restoration in secondary),

Diffenernce

IP Address,Tape Libaray Hardware,Extra tapes for Secondary Environment backup.

Hi Marianne,

Any option other than Cluster setup.

Marianne
Level 6

Extra tapes for Secondary Environment backup.

Okay - you have 2 live environments. Both doing backups. Right?

This means you cannot use clustering, replication or catalog backup and recover.

It then seems that "recovery without import" is your only possible solution. 
See the pdf in the TN that Nagalla posted: 
http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH28722

As per Changes to partial catalog recovery in NetBackup 7.5 in the doc - just a copy of db/images is no longer sufficient.
You need cat_export to get the header files on the source master and cat_import them on the destination server.

mansoor_sheik
Level 6
Certified

Hi Marianne,

The above white paper explains my current 7.1 environment.

In our secondary setup, we have replicated production image database where the soft link is created between the Secondary setup and Replicated Production Image Database.

In 7.1, we just replicate and get the catalog. But in 7.5, I need to perfrom the cat_export and cat_import.

Whether the cat-export and import option is feasilble for daily exercise.?

Suppose, today i have done cat_import in secondary setup and doing restoration. Tomorrow if i go for replication it will change the image database to prev state. Daily do i need to cat_import and Cat_export for entire Image Databse.Entire Production Image Database is around 1 TB.

Marianne
Level 6

The above white paper got updated last year with a section for 7.5 (and later...) that explains why and how to use cat_export. Have you had a look at it yet?

It seems we are going in circles... same question, same answer.

... feasilble for daily exercise?

You will have to test this and see how long it takes.
cat_export have different options, but nothing to specify a date range. So, there is no option to only export images written since yesterday. 
See Commands manual: http://www.symantec.com/docs/DOC5182

In the meantime, it will be best to investigate other HA/recovery solutions.

Have a look at the section of NetBackup in Highly Available Environments Administrator's Guide http://www.symantec.com/docs/DOC5183 that deals with catalog replication (continuous replication that guarantees write order fidelity). It also explains how the relational databases can be moved to the same volume as the image databases so that all databases will be replicated together.

Image catalog of 1 TB is very big - looks like it may be time to split environment?

mansoor_sheik
Level 6
Certified

Hi Maranne,

Thanks for yopur reply. We have plan to test the white paper in the coming week.

We plan to import the catalog of specific client for which restoration has to be perfromed in Seconary site.

Will update the status once the testing is over.

mansoor_sheik
Level 6
Certified

Hi All,

We have tested the Partial Catalog recovery in 7.5 and it was sucessful. We plan to do in Prodcution on coming week.. Will update once i done with the Production.

Logged a call with symantec as I faced some error. They recommended to make few changes as per the Technote and completed sucessfully.Will share the details.

rk1074
Level 6
Partner

yes