Catalog Backup Failing with Status code 29 & 141

Damusankararaju
Level 2

Hi,

NBU Version: 7.1.0.4 Enterprise Server

Server OS: Windows 2008 R2 Enterprise

Log:-

3/19/2014 2:45:30 PM - begin Catalog Backup
3/19/2014 2:45:51 PM - Error bpbackupvxss(pid=6008) path (xxxxxx) specified for bpbackupvxss is not an absolute path   
3/19/2014 2:45:51 PM - end Catalog Backup; elapsed time: 00:00:21
file path specified is not absolute(141)
3/19/2014 2:45:51 PM - Error bpbackupvxss(pid=6008) catalog backup to path C:\Program Files\VERITAS\NetBackup\db\NBU_VSSDB_IMAGE\xxxxxx_Catalog_Test FAILED      

Can anyone help me?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

CRZ
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

An internal TechNote suggests this cause:

The NetBackup Client Service on the master server is running as domain account which is not listed as a first entry in the AUTHENTICATION_DOMAIN registry key.

That key is (hopefully?) located in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Veritas\NetBackup\CurrentVersion\Config.

Check the domain belonging to the account running the NetBackup Client Service service to figure out how the registry key may need to be fixed to match the authentication domain with the domain expected by NetBackup.

Actually, now that I think about it...you may be able to access this and change it WITHOUT using regedit through the admin console by selecting the master server Host Properties and clicking on Access Control.

If that doesn't work AND you're not comfortable modifying the key via the registry editor, please open a support case and get someone who actually knows what they're talking about to help :)  Tell them I sent you and reference TECH185457.

Other options to mitigate this issue include:

• Disable NBAC (set PROHIBITED in Access Control tab in GUI)
  • Upgrade to 7.5 or 7.6

I know neither of those are "light" options either.

If you make ANY of these changes, you'll need to stop and restart NetBackup Client Service on the master before retrying the catalog backup.

Good luck!

(DISCLAIMER: I'm a UNIX guy - PLEASE take care when editing a Windows regsitry based on what a UNIX guy tells you)

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

RamNagalla
Partner    VIP    Certified

so are you taking the cold catalog backup?

if yes... cold catalog backup is not supported in 7.X

you need to make use of hot catalog backup

have a look into below discussion

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/netbackup-catalog-backup-75#comment-7408981

Damusankararaju
Level 2

No we are taking HOT catalog backup only sad

CRZ
Level 6

An internal TechNote suggests this cause:

The NetBackup Client Service on the master server is running as domain account which is not listed as a first entry in the AUTHENTICATION_DOMAIN registry key.

That key is (hopefully?) located in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Veritas\NetBackup\CurrentVersion\Config.

Check the domain belonging to the account running the NetBackup Client Service service to figure out how the registry key may need to be fixed to match the authentication domain with the domain expected by NetBackup.

Actually, now that I think about it...you may be able to access this and change it WITHOUT using regedit through the admin console by selecting the master server Host Properties and clicking on Access Control.

If that doesn't work AND you're not comfortable modifying the key via the registry editor, please open a support case and get someone who actually knows what they're talking about to help :)  Tell them I sent you and reference TECH185457.

Other options to mitigate this issue include:

• Disable NBAC (set PROHIBITED in Access Control tab in GUI)
  • Upgrade to 7.5 or 7.6

I know neither of those are "light" options either.

If you make ANY of these changes, you'll need to stop and restart NetBackup Client Service on the master before retrying the catalog backup.

Good luck!

(DISCLAIMER: I'm a UNIX guy - PLEASE take care when editing a Windows regsitry based on what a UNIX guy tells you)

Damusankararaju
Level 2

Its completed.. Thanks

CRZ
Level 6

Glad to hear it!

I doubt you'll be by again, but if you are, could you please share which of these options did you end up doing to get things working?