cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Catalog Backup to tape(LTO)

airmilb96
Level 3

I need a advice asap about Netbackup 8.2 Catalog backup.

I want to catalog backup to lto tape and I have to make a backup policy for catalog backup.

These are questions.

1  in disaster ricovery How can I decide path for lto tape. Can I set directory that lto tape is  mounted? like /proc/scsi/scsi~ or localpath? like /var/tmp~

2 Should I need another storage unit for catalog backup? I already have storage unit for lto tape.

I read admin guide but it couldn't help me.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Systems_Team
   VIP   

Hi Airmilb96,

The "Path" field on the Disaster Recovery tab is not a path to your tape drive.  This is a filesystem path where the Disaster Recovery file will be written.  To perform a catalog recovery you need both the DR file from this path, as well as your catalog backup from tape.

If you click the Help button at the bottom of the Disaster Recovery page, it will give you details of this.  For a Linux/Unix master server you'll need to configure an NFS share, and for a Windows master server it needs to be a UNC share.  This needs apropriate sharing and permissions so the master can write to it.

If you already have a storage unit for your tape, then the location where you would normally set this is the "Policy Storage" field on the Attributes tab of your catalog policy.  If you were using SLP's (Storage Lifecycle Policies) to replicate your catalog backup between sites, then you could use "Override policy storage selection" field on the Attributes tab, which is under the Schedules tab.  I don't believe you need to do that as you are just writing straight to tape. 

Hope this helps,

Steve

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

Systems_Team
   VIP   

Hi Airmilb96,

The "Path" field on the Disaster Recovery tab is not a path to your tape drive.  This is a filesystem path where the Disaster Recovery file will be written.  To perform a catalog recovery you need both the DR file from this path, as well as your catalog backup from tape.

If you click the Help button at the bottom of the Disaster Recovery page, it will give you details of this.  For a Linux/Unix master server you'll need to configure an NFS share, and for a Windows master server it needs to be a UNC share.  This needs apropriate sharing and permissions so the master can write to it.

If you already have a storage unit for your tape, then the location where you would normally set this is the "Policy Storage" field on the Attributes tab of your catalog policy.  If you were using SLP's (Storage Lifecycle Policies) to replicate your catalog backup between sites, then you could use "Override policy storage selection" field on the Attributes tab, which is under the Schedules tab.  I don't believe you need to do that as you are just writing straight to tape. 

Hope this helps,

Steve

Thank you steve. I apprecite it.

I already have a storage unit for LTO tape and I don't have to need another storage unit for catalog backup right?  I just want to be sure.

Can I ask you more?

1 I don't configure an NFS share and I want to set a path to local directory like /var/tmp/~

I want to backup DR file that is from /var/tmp to LTO tape.

then I have a LTO tape that include normal backup and catalog backup.

Can I do it?

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

@airmilb96 

Backup of DR-file on tape is just about useless in a disaster situation where you need to get up and running ASAP. 
The problem with a disaster is that your catalogs are gone. The DR-file is a catalog-file of the catalog backup.
You need the DR file available in a filesystem.

If you do not want to config NFS share, then configure email notification for catalog backup.
The DR-file as well as recovery steps will be emailed to you along with detailed recovery steps. 

Thank you for your reply.

All I need for catalog backup is DR file?

I want to bring catalog backup to remote location. Can I do it?

I understood a DR file has to be in local directory.

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

You will need the DR-File as well as the catalog tape.

The email that you receive will list everything you need.