cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Catalog Backup

snawaz3
Level 6

First of all I want to thank all you GURUS out there who have come to my help time and again. I started out as a novice having no clue about NetBackup and now I am a lot familiar with it. THANKS GUYS.

Now coming to my present issue. NetBackup Catalog. I inherited this system with policies already in place. There is one policy about the Catalog backup that I would like some clarification on so that I can with the help of you GURUS optimize my system. I have attached screen shots of all the different tab settings for clarification.

1. There is one policy Catalog_Backup (FIGURE 1)

2. On the Attributes Tab the Policy Type is NBU Catalog. (FIGURE 2)

3. On the Schedules Tab there are 2 schedules configured. (FIGURE 3)

4. FIGURE 4 to FIGURE 7 show the various tabs and the settings for 1st schedule. The Attribute Tab for this schedule shows the Type of Backup as FULL with various settings

5. FIGURE 8 and FIGURE 9 show the 2nd schedule. The Attribute Tab shows the Type of Backup as Vault Catalog Backup.

My questions are

1. Why are 2 schedules setup? I would assume the 2nd schedule (Type of Backup - Vault Catalog Backup) would be sufficient.

2. What is the usefullness of the 1st schedule (Type of backup - FULL)

3. In FIGURE 10 (catalog policy2.docx), both the schedules ran. One at 12.00 AM and the other after the vault duplication finished. Do I need both to run?

4. How can I tell if my catalog backup is setup as Hot Catalog Backup?

5. Why do I have 4 entries for each of the catalog backup schedules?

Thanks guys for your continuing help.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

RamNagalla
Partner    VIP    Certified

hi

1. Why are 2 schedules setup? I would assume the 2nd schedule (Type of Backup - Vault Catalog Backup) would be sufficient.

both schedules do the same job, but the Vault Catalog backup run immediatly runs after the vault duplication to make sure that the all modified catalogs with duplication jobs has the successfull backup copy.

its regular schedule of catalog backup, it take backups of catalog with the frequency of  one day as per your configurations. 

3. In FIGURE 10 (catalog policy2.docx), both the schedules ran. One at 12.00 AM and the other after the vault duplication finished. Do I need both to run?

generally one is enough , but having both does not cost you much, and also vault catalog backup make sure that you have safe catalog copy after the duplications.

its hot catalog, only hot catalog can be configured though policy.

I guess you might be asking about the why 4 jobs for each schedule.,

that is normal , below see the below T/N

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=HOWTO33757

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH61108

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

RamNagalla

hi

both schedules do the same job, but the Vault Catalog backup run immediatly runs after the vault duplication to make sure that the all modified catalogs with duplication jobs has the successfull backup copy.

its regular schedule of catalog backup, it take backups of catalog with the frequency of  one day as per your configurations. 

generally one is enough , but having both does not cost you much, and also vault catalog backup make sure that you have safe catalog copy after the duplications.

its hot catalog, only hot catalog can be configured though policy.

I guess you might be asking about the why 4 jobs for each schedule.,

that is normal , below see the below T/N

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=HOWTO33757

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH61108

snawaz3
Level 6

Thanks. That cleared up a lot. But also raised  few more.

1. Is there a difference in NBU Catalog and Vault Catalog Backup? In the Policy Type the selection is NBU Catalog. But in the schedules, Attributes Tab a selection can be made - Vault Catalog Backup or FULL

2. In the Vault Profiles there is a Catalog Backup Tab. Is this where the Vault Catalog backup kicks in?

3. If I select the check box Skip the Catalog Backup Step, will the Vault Catalog Backup not run?

4. Will the schedule Vault Catalog Backup in the Catalog_backup policy still run?

I hope my question are clear enough to make sense.

RamNagalla

1. Is there a difference in NBU Catalog and Vault Catalog Backup? In the Policy Type the selection is NBU Catalog. But in the schedules, Attributes Tab a selection can be made - Vault Catalog Backup or FULL

No Difference, Vault Catalog Backup triggers immediate to your Vault duplication job, and FULL schedule triggers as per the schedule time selected.

2. In the Vault Profiles there is a Catalog Backup Tab. Is this where the Vault Catalog backup kicks in?

this is another way to tirgger the catalog backups.

3. If I select the check box Skip the Catalog Backup Step, will the Vault Catalog Backup not run?

as the  catalog backup tab is another why of taking the catalog backup,  there is no relation with this tab  with your existing catalog policy.

if the check box is selected, you will have one more catalog backup when your vault scheduled. total 3 catalogs one with Vault, 2nd immediate after to vault with schedule  Vault Catalog Backup, 3rd  with the Regular FULL schedule.

you can un check in catalog bakup tab, having 2 catalog backup is more then enough.

4. Will the schedule Vault Catalog Backup in the Catalog_backup policy still run?

yes, because it does not have any relation with catalog backup tab in vault profile