Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Catalog Backup

H_Sharma
Level 6

Hi Experts,

I was reading and found some doubt..

Enterprise Master server is down all disk failed, Media server is on another system and is fine..

When master server is down and we need to build it again as per disaster recovery guide on 487 page we recover it on Workgroup and not in Domain.... Thats fine.

1:-So my question is when master server would ask for the disaster recovery file step and then it would ask for media resource how would it communicate with media server as it is on workgroup and media server is on domain....?

2:-Pls also let me know what is the drawback if we restore catalog to the domain....?

3:-Is it not possible if we would do the following?

1;- Prepare O/S, Same disk partiton.

2:- Give the same IP, Host name to the master as it was previous?

3:- Join master server on domain.

4:- Install Netbackup on same path, Install the patches as previous.

5: Now recover the full catalog backup.

Pls correct me if i am wrong..

Thanks so much...

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Mark_Solutions
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

If it has the same name then you may as well join it to the domain - doesn't really make any difference to be honest unless the original server used a FQDN as its NetBackup name.

Just add in your media server now - run the device wizard to see the tape library and tape and do the catalog recovery

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

SymTerry
Level 6
Employee Accredited

Hello

I am looking at the Symantec NetBackup 7.5 Troubleshooting Guide for this issue. (DOC5180)

I see what your refering to, but it look like that is for the process of "Recovering the master server and Windows" meaning your going to restore windows system state. If you look though the process, the last step is to:

Restart the system, which replaces any files that were busy during the restore.
When the boot process is complete, the system is restored to the state it was
in at the time of the last backup.

The alternate steps you outlined are the same as the section: Recovering the master server with Windows intact, page 196. Please follow that to restore. 

H_Sharma
Level 6

Hi Symterry,

You didnot get my question... :) Let me try to make you understand.

One master server is down. Its all disk failed. We had to replace the system. Media server is not on the master server. its somewhere else.

Now we have prepared a system for master and did the following things.

1;- Prepare O/S, Same disk partiton as it was in previous system..

2:- Given the same IP, Host name to the master as it was in previous system?

3:- Joined master server on domain/ or leave it on Workgroup?

4:- Installed Netbackup on same path, Installed the patches as previous in previous system.

Note:- I am referring Previous system to the old master which crashed.

Now tell me should we put this system on domain Point no. 3 before restoring the complete catalog or do the recovery on workgroup.?

Mark_Solutions
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

If it has the same name then you may as well join it to the domain - doesn't really make any difference to be honest unless the original server used a FQDN as its NetBackup name.

Just add in your media server now - run the device wizard to see the tape library and tape and do the catalog recovery

H_Sharma
Level 6

thanks mark... it makes sense :)

What if we need to change the host name of enterprise master?

mph999
Level 6
Employee Accredited

It's not supported to change the host name of the master.  It can be done, but only by a Symantec partner who has the corrrect 'tools' / scripts to sort out the database.

If you are going from shortname to FQN I think that's ok, as it can be done via an alias (loads of posts on Connect about this, search for the answers by Marianne...) - but anything else is considered a name change (EG. FQN to shortname).

H_Sharma
Level 6

Thanks Martin and Mark..... 

:) :)