cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Catalog Backups of v6.0 media servers

Anonymous
Not applicable
Just read this in the Admin Guide surrounding configuring Catalog Backups.

"Backups of 6.0 Media Servers
For NetBackup 6.0 media servers, the critical media and device data is stored in the NetBackup relational database, NBDB, on the EMM server (generally, the master server). No pathnames should be added for 6.0 media servers to be included in the cold catalog backup."

Q: If you only have v6.0 media servers, then to have a full disaster recovery solution in place, you ONLY need to have the four lines relating to files on the master server.?

(This is more a sanity check than anything else as it seems a marked change in the whole disaster recovery solution provided in v6 compared with v5)

ie:

# bpsyncinfo -L

Paths Included:
master:/usr/openv/netbackup/db
master:/usr/openv/volmgr/database
master:/usr/openv/var
master:NETBACKUP_RELATIONAL_DATABASE_FILES

Appreciate any thoughts on this or confirmation that this is correct, as it is such a vital piece of the NetBackup environment to get absolutely spot on.
3 REPLIES 3

G_S
Level 4
Symantec has told me the same thing but when I upgraded to 6 from 5.1 MP3aS2 it left stuff in there and I've been hesitant to remove it. They've always said you can put anything you want in there (I added my vm.conf to avoid scratch pool confusion) and I can't see the harm in having extra there.

Stumpr2
Level 6
Best Practice information for configuring VERITAS NetBackup catalog backups
http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/247276.htm

Details:
When setting up or possibly reviewing the NetBackup catalog backup configuration, it is a good idea to add the /usr/openv/netbackup/bp.conf and /usr/openv/volmgr/vm.conf files of each master and media server to the include path section, in addition to the default entries for the image and media databases.

The reason is that if the NetBackup environment is heavily customized due to overall size, or due to specific enabled features, it may be required to have those entries present in the event of a disaster recovery. By placing the bp.conf and vm.conf files into the catalog backup, it becomes one less configuration step needed to get the failed server back into operation as it was prior to the crash.

To add these paths, follow these steps:

1. Open the NetBackup Java GUI
2. Select the "Configure" menu item.
3. Select the "Files" tab
4. Select the "New" button
5. Type ":/usr/openv/netbackup/bp.conf" , replace with the hostname of the NetBackup server.
6. Select the "New" button
7. Type ":/usr/openv/volmgr/vm.conf" , replace with the hostname of the NetBackup server.
8. Repeat steps 5 & 6 for each media server in the environment.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks Bob,
I think I will add just bp.conf and vm.conf files and also my exclude* lists on my Unix boxes as they are very 'box specific' and just nice to have on the catalog - even if it is to test a restore from a Catalog tape.