cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Catalog Filsystem Full, suggestions?

aakomala
Not applicable
Our catalog that has the db/images files is getting full. I'm looking for some suggestions on how to reduce the size of the database. Can I move the images around maybe?

We have NBU Version 5.0 MP2 on Solaris 8. The compression is already in binary mode (by default).

Thanks in advance
Arnold
5 REPLIES 5

Yasuhisa_Ishika
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified
Hello.
Do you wish to move catalog files to other large file system?
You can find how to do it in System Administrator's Guide Volume I, page 226. You will make make some symbolic links, and change catalog backup settings.

Stumpr2
Level 6
The documentation is well written. Please also read the important notes included in it. If you create a link for the catalog on a larger file system remember to change the catalog backup to reflect the actual path and not the symbolic path for the catalog. The sysadmin guide and most of the manuals are in pdf format on the installation CD. Also ALL manuals are available via download from:
http://support.veritas.com/menu_ddProduct_NBUESVR.htm

If you use catalog compression then what is the value set to? You can check it under host properties for the master server. You will find it on the "Global Attributes" page. I suggest to set the number of days before compression to allow for enough time to keep in uncompressed format the last full backup and incrementals.
I have mine set to 7 days as I do weekly full backups. That way when I do restore operation on a NetBackup client I will not have to go thru the uncompress operation to view the recently backed up images and the files. But I also have a small catalog. only 16GB.Message was edited by:
Bob Stump

Forums_User637
Level 2
quick way to reduce database size while you are putting a bit more thoughts into moving the db location to a larger file system .
set the compression parameter to one day then run bpimages -compress -all_clients

Vishal_Mehra
Level 3
Have you audited your retention levels and what you are actually backing up?

I have noticed a significant improvement in catalog performance if you eliminate unrequired files and backups from your landscape in some cases. e.g. /tmp, /var/tmp in the Solaris environment.

John_Nardello
Level 3
Catalog archiving (storing catalog data on tape) might be another solution to your problem, if you don't do frequent restores of old data. The SAG discusses this starting on page 228.
This would be especially helpful if you do INFINITE retentions, since that data won't otherwise expire from the catalog.