cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Catalog Recovery testing

Doctorski
Level 5

Hi,

I am testing catalog recovery on HP-UX 11.11 6.5.1 Master.

I have run a FULL online catalog backup.

Then performed some test backups.

Then did a differential online catalog backup.

I then deleted a couple of tape drives and manually expired some images.

I issued bprecover -wizard and answered Y to recover the entire catalog.

bprecover completed ok and recoverred EMM (it said) and all the images but I cant seen the deleted tape drives

The tape drives should have been recovered shouldnt they. I have stopped and started but theyre not there.

Any ideas.

6 REPLIES 6

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

Try using this procedure to test catalog restore.

How to create a blank NetBackup NBDB database for the recovery of the NetBackup NBDB database from a...

This procedure is also listed in the trouble shooting manual. If the catalog backup reside on tape and the EMM database isn't running the recover fails. This procedure create a blank base, let's the user configure devices, inventory robot and then recover the database.  Take care when you test the procedure, there are some deep pits if you don't stick to the procedure.

Best Regards

Nicolai

Doctorski
Level 5

Thanks Nicolai but isnt the point of the catalog backup to save your device config as well as your images.

I dont want to be recreating my device config when I should be able to recover it !

OK I havent got the most complex device config in the world ... but I still want it back.

A cold catalog backup will recover it.

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

Hi Darren.

Yes the device config do get restored. My did when I tried the catalog restore procedure.

Did you restart Netbackup after the catalog restore ?. If not, the original device config will not get activated.

Br

Nicolai

Doctorski
Level 5

Hi Nicolai, yes I did stop and restart but no joy.

tpconfig -l only showed the one drive when there should have been two !

I will now place a call because I am following the recovery guide to the letter.

Thanks

Rakesh_Khandelw
Level 6
Did you delete the devices from NBU catalog or did you delete the devices at OS level too? Do you see your devices at OS level? Catalog restore will not recreate the devices at OS level. Another thing to look at, if there was another catalog backup performed after deleting the devices and you are using that particular backup instead of the original one.

Doctorski
Level 5

The drives were deleted just from netbackup, and after a DIFF online catalog backup.

tpconfig -delete -drive ... to delete the drive

tpconfig -add -drive ... etc to reconfigure the drive works ok .

I am using the DR file from the above DIFF. It has the relevant entries for the previous FULL and recovers from the correct media.