Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Catalog backed up as IP versus server hostname

75gary
Level 4

Master server name:  srv-server

Master server IP-Production Network:  a.a.a.a

Master server IP-Backup Network:  b.b.b.b

The Backup Network is only connected to a network switch that is isolated in that, only has those network connections that need to have data backed up via the NetBackup Client.

For example, our file, exchange, and SQL servers all have a separate network connection (and IP on the b.b.b.b network) so we can back up data without impacting production (a.a.a.a).

To ensure that we force backup data through the backup network, we use the windows 'hosts' file.

Somehow, my production NetBackup Master Server is showing up as the IP for the client column (b.b.b.b) versus the server hostname 'srv-server'.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

75gary
Level 4

The resolution was to open the clients file on masterserver:  c$\program files\veritas\netbackup\db\class\*Name of Catalog Backup Policy* and remove the IP and put in the hostname.

do the same for *Name of Catalog Vault Policy* (same file/path as above)

View solution in original post

13 REPLIES 13

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Where exactly does the server show up as IP address?

How is Master's name specified in EMM database?
Please provide output of:
nbemmcmd -listhosts -verbose
bppllist <catalog-policy> -U
(commands are in <install-path>\netbackup\bin\admincmd)

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

I don't think the use of host file manipulation is the right way to do it. Instead DNS records should be registered for both a.a.a.a / b.b.b.b  (you need different host names) and static routes should be deployed on the clients.

75gary
Level 4

I use the hosts file since my b.b.b.b network is an isolated/non-routed network.

1-Master/2-media servers use this for NetBackup communication, as well as all NetBackup Client servers run their backups over b.b.b.b.

75gary
Level 4

nbemmcmd.txt

bppllist.txt

Attached.

Mark_Solutions
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

Can you show us a screen shot of exactly where you see the IP address rather than the name please - your outputs look OK

I see the catalog policy says it is the IP adrress so i am guessing that it appears in activity monitor?

As this is coded into a polciy that doesn't have any clients (!?) you can do this to tidy things up:

bpplclients Real_Hot_Backup_Catalog -rename 10.18.5.250 srv-server

Then see if it sorts it for you - if not just delete and recreate the policy and see if it works next time

Hope this helps

75gary
Level 4

Attached is the activity monitor

75gary
Level 4

Where in the catalog policy does it say it is the IP adrress?

revarooo
Level 6
Employee

Lets have a look at the Real_Hot_Catalog_Vault policy:

Run: bppllist Real_Hot_Catalog_Vault -U

75gary
Level 4

bppllist Real_Hot_Catlog_Vault -U.txt attached

Marianne
Level 6

Both policies show Client name as IP address:

HW/OS/Client:  PC-x64        Windows2008   10.18.5.250

Client-name in a policy is hard-coded and cannot be manually entered.

My guess is that the NBU Client_Name is used for this entry.

Please run the following on the master
bpgetconfig -M srv-server  |findstr CLIENT_NAME

Does it return IP address or hostname?

If IP address, it means that someone has manually changed the Master server's configured Client Name.

Mark_Solutions
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

When you create the catalog backup it adds the client automatically

For what ever reason it added it as an IP address to your policy

The command i gave will edit your policy so that it displays the clients name in the future - if this causes any issues then it will need looking at deeper as per Mariannes suggestion.

But bpplclients Real_Hot_Backup_Catalog -rename 10.18.5.250 srv-server will just put it right for you

75gary
Level 4

The resolution was to open the clients file on masterserver:  c$\program files\veritas\netbackup\db\class\*Name of Catalog Backup Policy* and remove the IP and put in the hostname.

do the same for *Name of Catalog Vault Policy* (same file/path as above)

Marianne
Level 6

Mark's bpplclients command would be the quick and easy solution.