cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Catalog backup-Disaster Recovery

sudu_mlk
Level 5
Hi, In Netbackup 7.0 the Offline catalog backup has been removed and only hotline (online) catalog backup is available, i have not configured the hot catalog backup option in my old Netbackup 6.5 server. Now i have few questions, 1. In disaster Recovery tab how would i give the removable storage path? 2. Why should we need to add the Critical Policies? thanks, --SUDU
2 REPLIES 2

Andy_Welburn
Level 6
It does describe the features you are querying as does the 'help' button (to a lesser extent) when you have the window open to "Change Policy":

i.e.

1) The path indicates the directory where the disaster recovery information is to be saved. Symantec recommends that you save the image file to a network share or a removable device. Do not save the disaster recovery information to the local machine.
The share must be established and available before the hot catalog backup runs.
Specify an NFS share, or a UNC path (CIFS Windows share).
When indicating a UNC path, note the following:
■ A Windows master server can indicate a UNC path to a Windows machine.
■ A UNIX master server cannot indicate a UNC path to a Windows machine.
■ A UNIX master server cannot indicate a UNC path to a UNIX machine. To do so, first mount that UNC location on the master server, and then provide the UNC path to the UNIX machine.

Personally we direct ours to an NFS share on our UNIX master.

2) A policy that is listed on the Critical Policies list is considered crucial to the recovery of a site in the event of a disaster. The NetBackup Disaster Recovery report lists all of the media that is used for backups of critical policies, including the most recent full backup. The NetBackup DisasterRecovery wizard warns you if any media for critical policies are not available.

I think what you deem to be critical would depend on your environment, we personally do not use them so cannot comment directly on their 'usefulness', but will leave that to someone who does utilise them.

MariusD
Level 6

a online (hot) catalog not keep info about volume pools?

I did a catalog recovery and all policys are restored but not the volume pools structure.

How I can resore also the volume pools structure (all tapes that was in volume pools) ?

Regards,

Marius Demeter