Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Catalog backup devices disappear

emd0039
Level 3

Netbackup 6.5.6

Windows 2003 SP2

Netapp 8.0.2 operating in 7 mode

Dell ML6020 2 drives are hooked to the R710 server and the other 4 drives are hooked to Netapp FAS3210 cluster head 2 units.

Once a normal backup completes and the catalog backup starts I get a EMM-96 message during the backup either to disk or tape but will finish. After the catalog finishes all my tapes disappear.  Then I have to run device configuration manager again to find the tape drives.

I have ran the database consistency check and the database shows it has no problem.  We have noticed that the 4 drives hooked up to the (2) FAS3210 servers show that each drives is dual pathed. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

That method is called Cold catalog backup. As explained previously - EMM will be taken offline for cold catalog backup.

Please read the 'Catalog protection' section in chapter 6 of NBU 6.5 Admin Guide I for Windows  for detailed explanation of Hot and Cold catalog backups.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

Marianne

The assumption is that the master server is using tape drives connected to the master for catalog backups, right?

Have you checked Windows Device Manager at this point?

Also check Windows Event Viewer System and Application logs.

As an application, NetBackup has no direct access to devices. It relies on the OS to provide access.

Mark_Solutions
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

Make sure that the Removable Storage Service is stopped and disabled on the Master Server - Windows itself can strip your tape drives away from NetBackup

Also add the AutoRun key with a value of 0 (zero) under the tape drivers registry key (needs a reboot) - see this technote for details:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/842411

Marianne

Are you doing a cold catalog backup?

If so - this behaviour is perfectly normal and described in the 5.1 to 6.5 upgrade guide:

Note: With NetBackup 6.5, cold catalog backups will shut down the EMM database as any normal cold database application allowing no connections until the backup process completes. It is recommended that you use the HOT catalog backup option.

emd0039
Level 3

Yes this is the master server and master media server.  One of the things that we have found in our ventures of troubleshooting this is our Netapp Filers are showing mulitiple control paths to a single drive.  We have removed the mutliple control paths for the filers.

The removable media was set to manual but has been set to disabled and rebooted.

We are running a test backup and it completed successful.  The catalog started and the drives still disappear.  Windows device manager shows the tape disappear but the library does stay showing.    There is no messages in the application or system logs.

We get a warning that hot backups are not configured for the catalog.

emd0039
Level 3

We have the backup of the catalog scheduled through the catalog backup for Master Server. One goes to tape and other goes to disk.

After each session of scheduled, user or manual backups.

The message we get is Unable to obtain the server list from the Enterprise Media Manager server.  Database server is down. (93)

Marianne

That method is called Cold catalog backup. As explained previously - EMM will be taken offline for cold catalog backup.

Please read the 'Catalog protection' section in chapter 6 of NBU 6.5 Admin Guide I for Windows  for detailed explanation of Hot and Cold catalog backups.