cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Catalog backup files emailed out - keep them all?

Steve_Law
Level 4

Hi,

I've just read this from a 2012 post by mph999:

In the policy for the catalog, you configure a location to store te 'DR' file / email the DR file.  This is important as it is needed for recovery if you have to run a catalog restore.  The file just contains the information NBU needs to run a catalog restore, which tape, location of data on tape etc ...

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/netbackup-catalog-backup-0

I wondered what that file attached to the email was!!! Does this mean that without the correct email attachment I won't be able to restore Netbackup in a DR situation? 

So should I redirect it to a folder in Outlook and keep a rolling colelction fo the last month or so? But what if I leave the company - no one else will do it unless I specifically instruct them to do so....  What's the recommendation here?

Thanks very much

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

sdo
Partner    VIP    Certified

The DR email and DR file do not contain any license keys or passwords.  It's almost useless to anyone else.  The only details useful for a hacker is a server name, and the fact that you are using NetBackup at your site.  Why not create two different email accounts - one in hotmail, and one in gmail - for the whole team to use - purely for receiving the DR email - and configure the DR backup policy to email to both accounts.  A simple solution to two independent off-site copies of the DR email.

And, I guess there's no point retaining the the email any longer than the retention of your catalog backups.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

revarooo
Level 6
Employee

yes you can restore if you have the DR file and not the e-mail (they contain the same info), but the email is also useful to have - two copies is better than one. Keep both! Also keep the DR file on a share not on the same server as the Master (and if possible not on the same site!)

sdo
Partner    VIP    Certified

The DR email and DR file do not contain any license keys or passwords.  It's almost useless to anyone else.  The only details useful for a hacker is a server name, and the fact that you are using NetBackup at your site.  Why not create two different email accounts - one in hotmail, and one in gmail - for the whole team to use - purely for receiving the DR email - and configure the DR backup policy to email to both accounts.  A simple solution to two independent off-site copies of the DR email.

And, I guess there's no point retaining the the email any longer than the retention of your catalog backups.

mph999
Level 6
Employee Accredited

You only need the DR email for the retention period of the catalog backups.

Even without it, it is possible to recreate, though you can have fun and games tring to find the catalog tapes first.

I recommend lkeeping catalog backup for 6 months if possible, the reason being is that just occassionally, from a support point of view, if you raise a catalog related call it can occassionally be very useful to be able to look back in the catalog to see what things were doing xx time period ago.

Martin