cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Catalog backup

abu_jaman
Level 6

Hi all experts,

We are running catalog hot backup on solaris sparc 64 bit machine. Netbackup version is 7.5. Please take a look at my catalog backup email and my boss ask me why the email is showing catalog_1354794631_FULL successfully completed but not the catalog_1354794630_FULL? i searched in catalog backup directory path and i found the first one but not the second one. I went to GUI clicked on catalog and i found both  catalog_1354794630_FULL and 31 as well. He told me if it is possible to create and email notification for 1354794630_FULL. Is it possible to create email notifications for backup images that is written directly to tape same as disk to tapes images? I did not see this option while i created hot catalog backup policy. Please give your feedback.

Server
        netbak

Date
        Thu Dec  6 04:00:17 2012

Policy
        Catalog

Catalog Backup Status
        the requested operation was successfully completed (status 0).
DR image file: /var/tmp/catalog-backup/Catalog_1354794631_FULL

To ensure that the NetBackup catalog data is protected through
Thu Dec  6 04:00:17 2012
, retain a copy of the attached file, and the media
 or files listed below:

Catalog Recovery Media
        Media Server       Media ID     Image File Required
      * 63.247.239.ooo    100000       Catalog_1354794430_FULL
      * 63.247.239.ooo    100000       Catalog_1354794631_FULL

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

mph999
Level 6
Employee Accredited

Looks correct to me.

There is only one email per catalog backup.

There are x4 jobs in a catalog backup, 1) parent, 2) staging, 3) backup of NBDB + other files, 4)backup of images dir - the 3) 4) will have different backup ids but only one is mentioned in the email - this doens't matter as NBU knows that all 4 jobs are related to each other.

See, my email is the same :

Policy

catback

Catalog Backup Status

DR image file: /netbackup/nbu7503/cat_dr/catback_1354298463_FULL

To ensure that the NetBackup catalog data is protected through Fri Nov 30 18:00:16 2012 , retain a copy of the attached file, and the media  or files listed below:

I don't know what you mean by the catalog dir path ?

The email notification is set in the DR tab of the catalog backup policy - open the policy, you'll find it easily enough.

Martin

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

RamNagalla
Partner    VIP    Certified

hi,

1354794631 in catalog_1354794631_FULL indicates the time of the backup, 

use below weblink to convert into human understandable

http://www.onlineconversion.com/unix_time.htm

and when catalog backup run it would trigger 4 jobs(3 chlid and 1 parent). each job will have a ID generaraged based on the start time.and each job has its own signifance.

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH61108

the ID that you get in Mail is typicilly required for the recover, but not all IDs.(see the above tech note for  use of each job, which may not require at the time of recover)

netbackup is inteligent enough , and its sends the DR info to the mail,  which is required to recover in case of disaster, does not need to bother about it...

hope this helps..

mph999
Level 6
Employee Accredited

Looks correct to me.

There is only one email per catalog backup.

There are x4 jobs in a catalog backup, 1) parent, 2) staging, 3) backup of NBDB + other files, 4)backup of images dir - the 3) 4) will have different backup ids but only one is mentioned in the email - this doens't matter as NBU knows that all 4 jobs are related to each other.

See, my email is the same :

Policy

catback

Catalog Backup Status

DR image file: /netbackup/nbu7503/cat_dr/catback_1354298463_FULL

To ensure that the NetBackup catalog data is protected through Fri Nov 30 18:00:16 2012 , retain a copy of the attached file, and the media  or files listed below:

I don't know what you mean by the catalog dir path ?

The email notification is set in the DR tab of the catalog backup policy - open the policy, you'll find it easily enough.

Martin