cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Catalog backups, options other than to tapes.

nairaj
Level 3

All:

What are the options other than taking catalog backups to tapes.

I was able to take catalog backups to an NFS mount from a NetApp filer but did not try restores.

Anybody tried these Catalog restores from NetApp filers..

I am just trying to find how others are doing catalog backups other than to tapes.

Thanks in advance !

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

I backup my catalog to a NFS share on a Data Domain. I have run multiple catalog restore test and it worked everytime 

I configured the STU as a basic storage unit becuase it almost require no configuration before restore can be initiated. Advanced disk is more complicated and thus more exposed to errors.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

revarooo
Level 6
Employee

No problem backing up to disk. The only thing I would say about NFS is you are reliant on the network for recovery, whereas with tape (with drives directly attached to the Master) you are not.

There is also the option of backing up the The Cloud too and MSDP

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

I backup my catalog to a NFS share on a Data Domain. I have run multiple catalog restore test and it worked everytime 

I configured the STU as a basic storage unit becuase it almost require no configuration before restore can be initiated. Advanced disk is more complicated and thus more exposed to errors.

mph999
Level 6
Employee Accredited
As Nicolai says, Basic disk is fine, Advanced disk is harder to get back, in the event of the Master having to be reinstalled and the 'disk' IDs changing. Also consider, in the event of disk corruption, you could lose everything, the environment and the catalog backups you need to get it back, it has happened. Tape has it's advantages ... Martin

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

Good point about loosing the catalog backup if someone does a "rm -rf /" by mistake.

To encounter this I used data domain retention lock feature to secure the last 5 days of catalgo backup.