Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Catalog bkp

Ajith_Sankar
Level 6
Certified

Hi Folks

i have 4 tape drives and monthly backups duplicated copies are scheduled to tapes. The duplication jobs are running slow as they duplicating from msdp dedupe pool. So all 4 tape drives would be busy with duplication jobs in last week of the month. Due to this my catalog backups are queued up which is also scheduled to tape.

The catalog bkp priority is maximum but even though it is in queue state for 3-4 days.

Can any one help me to overcome this situation.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

RiaanBadenhorst
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

You can make an SLP window that allows the duplication only to start after a certain time. You can then run your catalog before the allowed duplication window open. http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH211111

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12

Nathan_Kippen
Level 6
Certified

In the master server properties you could check your default job priorities.  Verify the priority of duplication job s and check it against the priority level you are giving your catalog backup.

Ajith_Sankar
Level 6
Certified

catalog bkp priority is 99999 and for duplication it is 0. Eventhouh catalog bkp is not getting active.

Nathan_Kippen
Level 6
Certified

How are the duplication jobs being executed?  Are you using netbackup vault or NBSL or manual?

Here is a link that provides some insight to job priorities and how they work:

http://www.symantec.com/docs/HOWTO86314

RiaanBadenhorst

Make another storage unit, give it 1 drive, reduce the existing storage unit to 3 drives. Use the 1 drive storage unit for the Catalog.

Ajith_Sankar
Level 6
Certified

Thanks for the suggestion

Here the problem is i have almost 15TB of data to be duplicated every month. And my catalog backup maximum takes 1 hour to complete.

I cannot block one drive only for the catalog backup because the entire day except 1 hour that would take rest and my duplication jobs would be delayed to complete.

What i am feeling from Nathan's link, the second scenario is applying here.

A higher priority job is not eligible to join an existing multiplexing group but a lower priority job is eligible to join the multiplexing group. To continue spinning the drive at the maximum rate, the lower priority job joins the multiplexing group and runs

RiaanBadenhorst

What about SLP Windows? Not on 7.6 yet?

Ajith_Sankar
Level 6
Certified

Yes i have 7.6 and slp...but how to control this..What is your idea

RiaanBadenhorst

You can make an SLP window that allows the duplication only to start after a certain time. You can then run your catalog before the allowed duplication window open. http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH211111

watsons
Level 6

Does your catalog backup has to go to tape storage unit first?

If it doesn't, backup to a disk (non-MSDP) and only when those tapes are "more available", duplicate catalog backup from your disk storage unit to the tape. This will be the simplest alternative I can think of without having to schedule things out.

Ajith_Sankar
Level 6
Certified

The first copy should go to tape.

i have scheduled the duplication, lets see whether it works ?

i have selected default settings in the duplication job Advanced options.

Thanks Riaan.

Marianne
Level 6

i have scheduled the duplication, lets see whether it works ?

Hopefully you have seen this working by now?

Ajith_Sankar
Level 6
Certified

Yes it worked. Thanks