cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Catalog migration - procedure

bsilva
Level 3

Hello,

I'm looking for a procedure (step-by-step) about how to migrate a catalog from a master server netbackup 7.7 with MSDP (windows 2008) to netbackup 8.1 (windows 2012). The hostname will be the same, it's only a hardware/OS refresh including the NBU update. 

I found this https://www.veritas.com/support/en_US/article.000041077 but it says related to version 6.5.

thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

The Windows version is here:

https://www.veritas.com/support/en_US/article.000041076

The reference to 6.5 is an example only: 

e.g. if the old master server is running NetBackup 6.5.4, install NetBackup 6.5.4 on the new master server

The principle remains the same - you need to install the W2012 server with the same 7.7.x version as the current W2008 server. Note that NBU needs to be installed to the exact same path as existing server. 

Upgrade to 8.1 after successful migration to new server. 

If your current master is also MSDP media server, then this reference to Advanced Disk should also apply to MSDP:

If the master server is also a storage server for AdvancedDisk volumes ensure that the volumes are presented to the same mount points on the new master server (i.e. F:\ on the old master server must be mounted as F:\ on the new master server). 

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

sdo
Partner    VIP    Certified

You cannot (yourself) migrate the catalog across NetBackup versions.  You "might" be able to engage Veritas PS, or a CatMan certified professional, to migrate across versions - but, AFAIK, this is not a customer supported action.

Your options would appear to be:

a) upgrade the 7.7 env to 8.1 - an then do, catalog backup to basic disk, copy across, catalog recovery

b) install new env at 7.7 - do catalog backup to basic disk, copy across, catalog recovery, then upgrade to 8.1

...BUT...

...what about all the data in MSDP... what I have said above is probably nonsense as you haven't clearly described your environment - please... where is the MSDP data?

Jim-90
Level 6

In the last 3 months had discussed this with Veritas Support --  they initally said that you can't use a full catalogue recovery as a method of upgrading the OS on a windows master.  I challenged that because I was under theassumption that was an acceptable method of doing a server refresh.  The reply reply was  - they citied anothwr technote saying it was OK.  The interesting parts were:

The initial technote they gave me said that if you are going use NBU cataloguew recovery it has to be on the same OS level.

The second technote contradicted the first and was https://www.veritas.com/support/en_US/article.TECH77447   which is the windows version of the one that you looked at https://www.veritas.com/support/en_US/article.000041077.

If Veritas support says that TECH77447 is still valid then I would assume the Unix/Linux version is also valid.

Probably best to check with Veritas Support.

Anshu_Pathak
Level 5

There are many technotes and have lot of information that can contradict with each other. I will try to answer the big questions that got populated here and then provide the steps on how to complete this task.

Question. Does Veritas technical support provides assistance in this scenario or do I need to involve Veritas professional/consulting services?

Answer. Veritas technical support will completely support this operation if these crieterias are met. (a) Master server host name is same. (2) If original server was Windows OS, then new server has to be Windows (Windows version (2008, 2012) does NOT matter). (3) NetBackup installation path has to be same.

Veritas consulting/professional services would be happy to do this migration and you dont have to worry about anything.

If there is a budget contraint and you cannot afford Veritas consulting/professional services then this is what you should do.

1. Upgrade existing NetBackup 7.7 to 8.1 (I would suggest wait for this month end and directly go to 8.1.2)

2. Take catalog backup.

3. Install NetBackup on new server and ensure listed crieterias are met.

4. Perform catalog recovery. Link below has step by step instructions.

Disaster recovery
https://www.veritas.com/content/support/en_US/doc/15179611-127304775-0/v15107410-127304775

5. Now focus on MSDP, copy MSDP storage folder from original server to the new one.

6. Follow step by step instruction given in this link.

Recovering from an MSDP storage server failure
https://www.veritas.com/content/support/en_US/doc/25074086-127355784-0/v24773679-127355784

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

The Windows version is here:

https://www.veritas.com/support/en_US/article.000041076

The reference to 6.5 is an example only: 

e.g. if the old master server is running NetBackup 6.5.4, install NetBackup 6.5.4 on the new master server

The principle remains the same - you need to install the W2012 server with the same 7.7.x version as the current W2008 server. Note that NBU needs to be installed to the exact same path as existing server. 

Upgrade to 8.1 after successful migration to new server. 

If your current master is also MSDP media server, then this reference to Advanced Disk should also apply to MSDP:

If the master server is also a storage server for AdvancedDisk volumes ensure that the volumes are presented to the same mount points on the new master server (i.e. F:\ on the old master server must be mounted as F:\ on the new master server). 

Oliver_Blumert
Level 2
Partner Accredited Certified

The Hardware Refresh (oder OS-Refresh) works as described as given in the TechNote or mentioned here already.
You do not need a CatMan-Engagement carried out by a certified person for that, but you need to migrate using the very same version and upgrade in prior or afterwards. In both options pay special attention to the certificates migrated or created/updated with 8.x!
But you need to be aware that while doing a Catalog-Restore not all data is copied to the new Server. Some data is not contained in the Calalog-Backup - like the current Jobs in your Activity Monitor or error logs. These are not vital, but you need to be aware. Also TIR and Accelerator status may get lost and you may have new Fulls on the very first run.

But: MSDP gives you some headaches. While you could transfer the MSDP-Disk like an Advanced Disk-Pool, it is most likely it will not work completely. While setting up the MSDP there are local files in the installation-folder of NBU modified by the Setup-Wizard which were not available on your new server then (because it never has run). You would need to know these files - but even when transferring (or modifying these), you will not have performed a supported procedure for your MSDP then! Or you would need to setup an MSDP using the Wizard before doing the Catalog-Restore, deleting all MSDP-Files and copy all the MSDP-Data from the old server after running the Wizard (this may work, but you need to carry out and test carefully then).
Both cannot be adviced when you do not know the internals of MSDP very well. But it is possible - and an unsupported procedure (afaik).

A Catman-Engagement would also not transfer the MSDP - it would demote the Source-Server to a Media-Server with MSDP so you can create a new MSDP (on the Master when required), duplicate all Images and remove the original copies afterwards (and decommission the Media-Server, which was the old Master) - so migrate the MSDP after the Master-Migration itself. Or you migrate MSDP to a new server before the CatMan-Engagement.
A Catman-Engagement is not required, would give you the option to transfer the Master to a different version, so saving you an upgrade step. But takes more time for the pre- and post-tasks and the migration itself.

A supported procedure would tell you to setup a separate MSDP, duplicate all Images to the new MSDP, remove the Copies from the (old) Master, delete the old MSDP and then do your Hardware-Refresh.
Because of that, it is best practices to separate Master and MSDP. If you need to have both (Master and MSDP) on the same server, you need to carry out these tasks when you want to stay supported and ensure you would not have missed anything so you won't into trouble anytime in future.

Thanks Marianne, I wasn't sure if this procedure could be applied to the latest version. And yes, the master server is also a MSDP media server, so I think that I'm good to go. Thanks again. 

Thanks for all the steps provided! And I didn't know about the version 8.1.2... I will check that.