Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Catalog recovery from OST (datadomain) does not work. NetBackup 6.5.5

henkka72
Level 3
Partner Accredited

Hi,

I have situation that Netbackup master server 6.5.5 on Solaris 10 has broken down. There was hardware failure which broke disks where netbackup was installed and also config files. Image database and logs has been earlier relocated from orginal location to other disk which is intact.

Environment has one master server and multiple media servers. Media servers has tape drives and also those are connected to DataDomain with OST.

I tried to do catalog recovery, but it fails to error 29.

Catalog backup is done with media server  and it's done to OST device. When trying to recover catalog we receive following error:
master1: > bprecover -wizard

Welcome to the NetBackup Catalog Recovery Wizard!

Please make sure the devices and media that contain catalog disaster recovery data are available
Are you ready to continue?(Y/N)
y
Please specify the full pathname to the catalog disaster recovery file:
/talteen/Hot_Catalog_Backup_2_1309241111_INCR
bup-mas1_1309241111
All media resources were located
Do you want to recover the entire NetBackup catalog? (Y/N)
y
Catalog recovery is in progress. Please wait...
ERR - Failed to execute command /usr/openv/netbackup/bin/bpdm -restoretir -jobid 10 -cn 1 -b master1_1309241111 -c master1 on host media2 (29)
Failed to recover catalog (29)

They have used storage lifecycle policy so copy 3 of the catalog can be found on tape (owned by media2), but when we tried to scan tape on media1, nothing happened.

All the media servers are also on version 6.5.5 and are Solaris 10

I did tried if backup are working throught OST on media2 and it did work, so we can access to that OST device.

I did use these instructions to add DataDomain back to system :

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH72198

Any help would be great.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

henkka72
Level 3
Partner Accredited

Hi Laurent,

I tried to bprecover -wizard -copy option + couple other things but seems that it is not easy task to recover from OST device. I also tried this one:

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH157454

but this one failed also, got an error.

But long story short, we were lucky that we had mad an copy to tape also (using SLP). When we had done phase one import to that tape  we were able to promote tape (orginally copy 3) to primary copy. We also had to manipulate dr_file and changed line to  Primary Copy = 3. After that I was able to recover catalog.

-Henrik

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

AnotherUnknownV
Level 3
Employee

Hi,

If you made inline multiple copies of your catalog, the disaster recovery wizard allows you to request the use of copy 2 by command :

bprecover -wizard -copy 2

Note : this is not possible if you use the graphic wizard.

Now, if the catalog image backup is present in a different media server than the original used for backup, if made on tape, you must reconfigure robot for the 2nd media server, and inventory it, before you can do the restore. with that information : All media resources were located, I understand that everything is fine from here.

Regarding the copy 3 made AFTER the catalog backup, on another tape, you don't have a disaster ercovery file pointing to that tape.

You can generate such a file from command line, found in the troubleshooting guide, chapter 7, Disaster Recovery :

3 Run the following command to retrieve all Disaster Recovery files from the
catalog backup media:
bpimport -drfile media_id -drfile_dest
fully_qualified_directory_name
This command recovers all disaster recovery files from the specified media
ID and places them in the specified directory. The ID can be either 

Then with the dr file, associated to your tape, you can restart the wizard.

henkka72
Level 3
Partner Accredited

Hi Laurent,

I tried to bprecover -wizard -copy option + couple other things but seems that it is not easy task to recover from OST device. I also tried this one:

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH157454

but this one failed also, got an error.

But long story short, we were lucky that we had mad an copy to tape also (using SLP). When we had done phase one import to that tape  we were able to promote tape (orginally copy 3) to primary copy. We also had to manipulate dr_file and changed line to  Primary Copy = 3. After that I was able to recover catalog.

-Henrik