cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Catalog tape usage in 6.5.1

Rick_Brown
Level 4
Hello All,
My first post on this user forum Smiley Happy.

My question is how can I stop NBU 6.5.1 from using more than 1 catalog tape per day if I have the storage unit set to use only 1 tape drive for the catalog backup already?

I have 2 other 6.5 systems using 1 per day & getting vaulted offsite, but the 6.5.1 system is doing whatever it feels like & I haven't been able to pin it down yet.  .  .

Thanks in advance!
Rick
3 REPLIES 3

J_H_Is_gone
Level 6
question... does it use more then one tape "each time" it backups up.... like it does not FIT on the tape

or

does it use a different tape every time it backs up?

Rick_Brown
Level 4
Sometimes it uses the same tape for the EMM part & then grabs another tape for the Catalog_Driven part.
I've seen instances where it will use the same tape for 2 full cat backups (EMM & Catalog_Driven), then on the 3rd catalog backup, grab a different tape for the Catalog_Driven. These tapes hold 700GB native, so I don't think it's a space issue.

The catalog backups are set up like this:

Vault runs & 08:00 and grabs a full Catalog backup to go offsite.
A Full Catalog backup is taken @ 09:00 & every 6 hours afterwards.
Vault run's the following day @ 09:00 & the cycle repeats.  I expect it would use the same tape for the catalog backup throughout the day AND for the Vaulting process.

The issue is I cannot predict the system will continue to use 1 tape for the entire day's worth of catalog backups, like NBU 6.5.1 is just using whatever it can get its mits on. Our 2 other NBU 6.5 systems are not behaving in this way, I even made a storage unit to only allow 1 tape drive to be used, but that hasn't seemed to help either.

There's plenty of room on the tapes to hold these for 1 day's worth.

Rick_Brown
Level 4
I have noticed the NBU 6.5 systems are doing the same thing with regards to using different media to write the EMM data & the Catalog_Driven data.  The difficult thing (for me) to understand is this doesn't happen on every catalog backup, maybe about half of them - it seems kind of random.