cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Catlogback up error

kakaluru
Level 4

Hi All

Kindly, can any one look into below? Let me know if you required other information.

Error : status code 98

4/16/2015 4:57:24 AM - mounting 000012
4/16/2015 4:57:24 AM - started process bptm (884)
4/16/2015 4:57:24 AM - started process bptm (884)
4/16/2015 4:57:24 AM - mounting 000012
4/16/2015 4:57:24 AM - Error bptm(pid=884) error requesting media, TpErrno = File name already exists
4/16/2015 4:57:24 AM - Error bpbackupdb(pid=5436) load of media id 000012 failed, error requesting media (tpreq)
4/16/2015 4:57:24 AM - end Catalog Backup; elapsed time: 00:00:00
error requesting media (tpreq)(98)
4/16/2015 4:57:24 AM - Error bpbackupdb(pid=5436) NB database backup to media id 000012 FAILED

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

I have not worked with cold catalog backup in many years....

You firstly need to check that media-ids configured for catalog backups are in NetBackup pool.

In the GUI, right-click on Catalog -> Configure NetBackup Catalog Backup
You will see media id's in the Attributes tab.

PS:

Look for a 'docs' folder on your NBU server. Somewhere under Veritas or NetBackup folder (I can't remember.)  Here you will find NBU manuals in pdf format.
Catalog Backup is covered in Admin Guide I.

View solution in original post

15 REPLIES 15

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

This should not happen in normal operation. Stop backup operation - makre sure all tape drives are dismounted. Take a look in [INSTALL_PATH]/netbackup/db/media/tpreq 

Does it contain any files or a file called 000012 ?

kakaluru
Level 4

Hi

I found 2 files under that path but those are empty.

Last 3 days catalog back up was not happend. So i don't think does it contain data.

Marianne
Level 6
I agree with Nicolai. Looks like this media id was not released / unmounted after last catalog backup. Did you by any chance experience power outage while previous catalog backup was running? You will probably have to run nbrbutil -resetall to release orphaned allocations.

kakaluru
Level 4

Hi Nicolai/Marianne

Let me know to resolve steps in microsoft windows server 2003.

Marianne
Level 6
You did not tell us what happened with last backup. .. Knowing how this happened may help to suggest the way forward. You can delete the file for this media-id in tpreq folder, but if there are any orphaned allocations left over, more action may be required. Such as running 'nbrbutil -resetall ' from cmd (in ...\netbackup\bin\admincmd ) when no backups are running.

kakaluru
Level 4

Hi Marianne

After successfully completion of daily diffrencial back up from last 3 days i was facing this issue.

My workaroud based on symantic post :

Netbackup Admin console-->Media and Device Management-->Device Monitor-->Right pane 1 job is pending i cancelled it and restarted.

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   
  • Stop Netbackup operation
  • run nbrbutil -resetAll
  • Remove empty files in [INSTALL_PATH]/netbackup/db/media/tpreq
  • Stop/Start Netbackup services

kakaluru
Level 4

Hi

Tried to run above command but facing errors. Kindly find an attachment for your reference.

Marianne
Level 6

.... from last 3 days i was facing this issue.

The 'pending request' means that somewhere there was a 'hanging' job waiting for a tape mount... for 3 days...

Do you have a robotic tape library? 
Why would there be a pending request?

It seems that canceling the pending request has solved your problem, right?

To prevent this from happening again, you need to find out why a pending request was generated in the first place....

***EDIT *** 

If nbrbutil command does not exist on your master server, it can only mean that you are running an old, unsupported version of NBU and your issue was with a cold catalog backup that will automatically alternate between 2 media-id's.
Am I right?

kakaluru
Level 4

1. We have a robotic tape library

2. Active monitor i didn't see pending request. Is there any other place which i need to check ?

yes it's 5.2 version.

Marianne
Level 6

Probably 5.1 (there was never a 5.2 version).

Are you aware of the fact that 5.x ran out of support in 2009?
Latest version is 7.6.1.

Cold catalog backups in 5.x worked totally different to hot catalog backups in current NBU versions. 
With cold catalog backups you are limited to 2 media-id's that need to be in the robot. These 2 tapes are getting rotated all the time.
If a tape is taken out of the robot, NBU will not use the other tape. 
You need to manually change the Catalog Backup config.

PLEASE upgrade your environment! 

NBU 5.x is nothing more than a bad memory.................

See Release and EOSL dates here: https://sort.symantec.com/eosl/show_matrix

kakaluru
Level 4

yes it's 5.1 version,I understood your concerns and we are trying to upgrade.

000012 tape is in robotic library which is using for catalog backup automatically.

How to manually change the Catalog Backup config ? If i do manually changes to Catalog Backup config  will it resolve my issue ?

Marianne
Level 6

I have not worked with cold catalog backup in many years....

You firstly need to check that media-ids configured for catalog backups are in NetBackup pool.

In the GUI, right-click on Catalog -> Configure NetBackup Catalog Backup
You will see media id's in the Attributes tab.

PS:

Look for a 'docs' folder on your NBU server. Somewhere under Veritas or NetBackup folder (I can't remember.)  Here you will find NBU manuals in pdf format.
Catalog Backup is covered in Admin Guide I.

kakaluru
Level 4

Hi Marianne

Let me observe 2 - 3 days to provide an update.

kakaluru
Level 4

Hi all

At presently issue is resolved.

Thanks for the support.