cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Change EMM server name for a single Media server to FQDN

CadenL
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Hi

I have a 7.6 Windows Master server with two Windows Media Servers (also running 7.6) and am planning to upgrafe to NBU 8.0.

When I run the NBCC it comes back with an inconsistancy which I believe may be down to one of the servers being configured with the EMM server using the short name but the master server usng the FQDN (these are the same server - the master server is also the EMM server)

On the master server, if I run nbemmcmd -getemmserver it shows me a list of the media servers and also the associated EMM server. I can see one of the media servers has the short name here and the others have the FQDN. Whereas this doesn't seem to cause any operational issues, I'd like to get this straightened out so that the NBCC might run through clean.

Do I have any options here?

On the media server with the inconsistency - Can I change the EMM server name from the shortname to the FQDN (just for that media server) so it matches the others and also matches the FQDN which is used for the EMM server.

Or (.....and I suspect this is where the problem lies)

Can I set an 'alias' for the EMM server? I can see that the Master server has an alias for both shortname and FQDN which, I guess, is how the server was installed - using the shortname for the Master server which automatically applied the shortname for the EMM server.

thanks in advance

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

RiaanBadenhorst

You can edit it in the registry (after backup). Set it to the shortname, restart the services and check if it display fine. Short long shouldn't really be an issue unless there is something blocking the resolution.

You know you can just open a support case and have the nbcc checked :)

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9

RiaanBadenhorst

You can edit it in the registry (after backup). Set it to the shortname, restart the services and check if it display fine. Short long shouldn't really be an issue unless there is something blocking the resolution.

You know you can just open a support case and have the nbcc checked :)

CadenL

ok - thanks

So it's not a setting on the Master server (within the EMM databases) but just a registry setting on the actual media itself?

That's sounds like quite a simple edit them.

I would look to change it from the shortname to the FQDN as the Master server has an alias for both but the EMM server only has the FQDN - so I think this is where the inconsistency will be.

I'll probably open a support case too but wanted to see if it might be an easy fix I could do myself beforehand

CadenL

So I thought this might happen..... but didn't think Veritas would be quite that nonsenseical to put it in writing Smiley Happy

As the Server is running 7.6.0.1 I must first upgrade before Support can assist me with my upgrade......

RiaanBadenhorst

You can counter that with, the running of nbcc is a prerequisite as listed in the upgrade portal SO they should support you as you ARE trying to upgrade. Get your account manager involved. 

RiaanBadenhorst

Remember the front line that answers the phone don't understand the technicalities, they just know 7.6 is not supported and then block the case.

Marianne
Level 6
Log the Support call with subject 'Analyze nbcc output for NBU 8 upgrade'.

CadenL

Hi Marianne

Thanks - I did exactly that. The title was "NBCC Analysis to progress upgrade to NBU 8"

Hopefully I'm getting somewhere with support. The call is still showing as 'Under Investigation' and I got the following emailed last night

"Sorry for the delay in replying, if you need to upgrade to latest version, I can help you create another case and get an engineer to work with you for upgrading your product.

However the version you selected is not supported anymore as it has already reached end of support life. If you need any assistance for the existing version, then you can contact our engineer via Veritas forums. "

I'm hoping that the first line is indicating that they will take a look at the NBCC output and the second line is just indicating that if I had a general problem with the product then I need to use this forum.

I don't like to trouble support if I don't need to, hence why I use the forum a lot  - and the fix might be exactly what Riaan suggested in his previous response. But I guess when NBCC flags an inconsistency and the only course of action is to send the output file to Support then I would hope they can take a look at it for me.

CadenL

A short update on this.

I did what Riaan said in his initial reply and now the NBCC runs through clean - so I'm good to go with the upgrade.

I still think that perhaps first line support need to be a little better trained to spot when a customer is trying to upgrade an EOSL version before simply flatly declining to support them. A less persistent customer may have simply accepted that their product is out of support and they do not have a upgrade path that will receive any support from the Vendor  - this could lead to them opening the door to other backup vendor solutions as a replacement solution is clearly necessary.

RiaanBadenhorst

Glad its resolved, and yes, you're correct. Good luck with your upgrade.