cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Change MSDP mount point

Jesus_Fuente
Level 3

Hi all. I have a storage server with MSDP running in a mount point different than /msdp and with MSDP catalog and data in same volume.

This server is going to grow but I want to do it following the 96TB/250TB MSDP method by adding 32TB partitions when needed.

Is it possible to move MSDP mount point from other to /msdp without losing backup data on it?

Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

I'm sure this is outside what is supported. Anything below you do at your own risk.

You will need to update at a number of files to change the storage location. What I don't know is whether there are additional places that need to be changed - this is not something I have done nor would recommend doing. 

The first place to update is to tell the system where the top level MSDP storage is located:
/usr/openv/pdde/pdconfigure/etc/default/pdde - update the STORAGE value.
If the server is Windows, then you will need to look in the registry for this. 
HKLM\SOFTWARE\Symantec\PureDisk\Agent (it should be evident what keys need updating).

Then within the MSDP storage location, you will need to update a number of files to specify the new location:
<STORAGE>/etc/puredisk/agent.cfg
<STORAGE>/etc/puredisk/spa.cfg
<STORAGE>/etc/puredisk/contentrouter.cfg
<STORAGE>/etc/puredisk/fstab.cfg (note: the syntax for specifying the location)
<STORAGE>/etc/pdregistry.cfg:configfilepath

As such I'd be very wary about making this change. Im sure support would NOT help youu here if you get into trouble. 

If you do have access to a VM - you could go down the original path I suggested and virtualise the existing media server (if you keep the hostname/IP/paths the same, there is no reason why you couldn't backup/restore the MSDP data from the physical to virtual). You then have the pjhysical machine spare to rebuild how you now want it. 

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

davidmoline
Level 6
Employee

Hi @Jesus_Fuente 

The answer is yes it is possible - but not something you should try (as the risk of data loss is high). It would be better to rebuild the storage server with the aim to separate the catalog and data partitions and allow for growth. 

As for the data, once the new server is built, duplicate the current data over to the new one and then decommission the original server. 

Cheers
David

Thanks David.

I'm not concerned about the risk of splitting catalog and data in different volumes. I used to do that kind of operations. But I want to know if MSDP catalog will keep running after mounting them on different mount point (May I have to change some reference to new mount point in configuration?)

Regarding to build another server, I cannot do that since this server is physical and I don't have other server to mount as the right one. That's why my question.

So, do you know how can I made this operation?

Note: I can test solution in small sandbox virtual server but I prefer to know before the way to do it.

Regards.

I'm sure this is outside what is supported. Anything below you do at your own risk.

You will need to update at a number of files to change the storage location. What I don't know is whether there are additional places that need to be changed - this is not something I have done nor would recommend doing. 

The first place to update is to tell the system where the top level MSDP storage is located:
/usr/openv/pdde/pdconfigure/etc/default/pdde - update the STORAGE value.
If the server is Windows, then you will need to look in the registry for this. 
HKLM\SOFTWARE\Symantec\PureDisk\Agent (it should be evident what keys need updating).

Then within the MSDP storage location, you will need to update a number of files to specify the new location:
<STORAGE>/etc/puredisk/agent.cfg
<STORAGE>/etc/puredisk/spa.cfg
<STORAGE>/etc/puredisk/contentrouter.cfg
<STORAGE>/etc/puredisk/fstab.cfg (note: the syntax for specifying the location)
<STORAGE>/etc/pdregistry.cfg:configfilepath

As such I'd be very wary about making this change. Im sure support would NOT help youu here if you get into trouble. 

If you do have access to a VM - you could go down the original path I suggested and virtualise the existing media server (if you keep the hostname/IP/paths the same, there is no reason why you couldn't backup/restore the MSDP data from the physical to virtual). You then have the pjhysical machine spare to rebuild how you now want it. 

Thank you very much David.

I can try some like this in a VM, but my VM environment is outside the backup server, so I can't use the same data. But this info is very useful for me.

Also I understand this is a very risky action, so don't worry I will take care on it.

Regards.