cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Change Master - Media server to only Master

Amin123
Level 4
Partner
I have Unix Master server acting as Master and Media Server, I want to make it as Master server only and not Master and Media server
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Jonathan_Bourke
Level 3
Amin, 

All you need to do is configure another media server and use it instead!

I suppose that is oversimplifying things... you will need move any assigned media to the new media server, decommission any storage units, etc.

Symantec have a tool to accomplish this for NBU > 6.5.3, and a method for NBU =<6.5.3. Follow directions here:

http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/306838.htm

My only concern for this method  / tool, is that they make no mention of decommissioning the media server component of an existing Master server. Does the entire NBU install on the Media server get trashed????

Best test this before implementing in production. Additionally, a full catalog backup, and a fresh Master Server DR procedure would be very good to have as well.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

Jonathan_Bourke
Level 3
Amin, 

All you need to do is configure another media server and use it instead!

I suppose that is oversimplifying things... you will need move any assigned media to the new media server, decommission any storage units, etc.

Symantec have a tool to accomplish this for NBU > 6.5.3, and a method for NBU =<6.5.3. Follow directions here:

http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/306838.htm

My only concern for this method  / tool, is that they make no mention of decommissioning the media server component of an existing Master server. Does the entire NBU install on the Media server get trashed????

Best test this before implementing in production. Additionally, a full catalog backup, and a fresh Master Server DR procedure would be very good to have as well.

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

I agree with Jonathan - simply change policies to start using new Storage Unit.
The only decommissioning steps necessary will be to change ownership of media belonging to master:
bpmedia -movedb -allvolumes -newserver <hostname> -oldserver <hostname>
Followed by deleting devices attached to master and Storage Unit.

You can even choose to keep one tape drive attached to Master so that it can back up its own catalogs locally.
In that case, Master server will still be available to restore backups that was done by it up to now - so no need to change media ownership. Just change Storage Unit properties to 1 drive.

Whichever choice you make - no binaries are de-installed on the master. Just change configuration.