Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Change Master Server Domain

SplashMasterson
Level 4
Certified

Hello,

I've read some of the other posts about changing the Master Server domain name, but I did not come across an example where it is possible. Marianne has been very clear about using shortname for Master Servers and aliasing FQDN, but the server in question was a part of an acquisition and its creation was out of my hands. I've used Symantec's Professional Services to merge Backup Domains in the past, with positive results, but in this case we cannot justify the expense.

1. Is this server configured so we can modify the domain? ( MachineName = "back01", MachineNbuType = master (3) )

[root@back01 admincmd]# ./nbemmcmd -listhosts -verbose
NBEMMCMD, Version: 7.5.0.6
The following hosts were found:
back01
        MachineName = "back01"
        FQName = "back01.old_domain.net"
        MachineDescription = ""
        MachineNbuType = server (6)
back01
        ClusterName = ""
        MachineName = "back01"
        FQName = "back01.old_domain.net"
        GlobalDriveSeed = "VEND:#.:PROD:#.:IDX"
        LocalDriveSeed = ""
        MachineDescription = ""
        MachineFlags = 0x67
        MachineNbuType = master (3)
        MachineState = active for tape and disk jobs (14)
        NetBackupVersion = 7.5.0.6 (750600)
        OperatingSystem = linux (16)
        ScanAbility = 5

2. If so, our plan is to:

• Use nbemmcmd to update the alias - MachineName = "back01" - FQName = "back01.new_domain.net"
  • Take a full catalog backup
  • Rebuild the server - to add the server to the new domain, correct file permission issues, and get a clean install
  • Restore the catalog 

Does this seem achievable? 

3. If this is all incorrect, would someone please share an `nbemmcmd -listhosts -verbose` output where domain migration is possible?

Thank you!

3 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

I cannot see any problem here with changing the domain.

Not sure why you need to rebuild machine just to join a new domain?

You should be able to join a new domain without a rebuild.

On Linux all NBU files and folders are owned by root. So, domain change will have no effect on file permissions.

View solution in original post

RamNagalla
Partner    VIP    Certified

Correct... since you are keeping the hostname of the master server as it is... and all configurations are with the hsotname(short name)  you can simply change the domain of the master.

becasue Netbackup is also communicate with the name it registred ...

just simply go ahead and do it..in OS level  Domain change.

RiaanBadenhorst

Hi,

Change the domain, make sure that dns resolves the new FQDN forwards and backwards, run bpclntcmd -clear_host_cache (twice), then use nbemmcmd  to delete the aliases

-deleteallaliases -alias name -machinetype type

Deletes all aliases for a particular machine. To perform this operation you must identify the machine name and the machine type.

7 REPLIES 7

RamNagalla

if my understanding is correct you would like to change the FQDN with the new domain name only but not the host name of the Master , correct?

how the bp.conf of the master have the entires.. does it have FQDN or shortname 

also the Media server and Clients how they are populated with the Master name.. does it with FQDN or shortName?

SplashMasterson
Level 4
Certified

You are correct, I want to keep the Master Server name as "back01" but move the server into a new domain. The other posts I've seen mention that the alias can be changed, but only if the Master was created with short name.

A few examples:

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/change-master-server-hostname

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/change-domain-name

I didn't see an positive example of a configuration that can be migrated, which is what I'm curious about.

As for my bp.conf

Master Server bp.conf

SERVER = back01

Client bp.conf is the same.

Marianne
Level 6

I cannot see any problem here with changing the domain.

Not sure why you need to rebuild machine just to join a new domain?

You should be able to join a new domain without a rebuild.

On Linux all NBU files and folders are owned by root. So, domain change will have no effect on file permissions.

RamNagalla

Correct... since you are keeping the hostname of the master server as it is... and all configurations are with the hsotname(short name)  you can simply change the domain of the master.

becasue Netbackup is also communicate with the name it registred ...

just simply go ahead and do it..in OS level  Domain change.

RiaanBadenhorst

Hi,

Change the domain, make sure that dns resolves the new FQDN forwards and backwards, run bpclntcmd -clear_host_cache (twice), then use nbemmcmd  to delete the aliases

-deleteallaliases -alias name -machinetype type

Deletes all aliases for a particular machine. To perform this operation you must identify the machine name and the machine type.

SplashMasterson
Level 4
Certified

I was hoping you would answer this, Marianne. Thank you.

We want to rebuild the server only because it was part of an aquisision and this is an opportunity to build the server with our image.

SplashMasterson
Level 4
Certified

Excellent response. Thank you for the guide.