Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Change Tapes used by netbackup

susotest
Level 3
Partner

Dear Team,

I am new to netbackup and need help in doing a tape change activity in netbackup.

My setup 

NBU Master - Hosted on Windows server

NBU media - Netbackup Appliance

Normal Backups are going to- NBA configured as VTL

I have deduplication job running which is going to Tapes connected thorgh a tape library with robotic arms.

Now my dedup job is failing saying "insufficient space". I need to remove some of my existing tapes used in dedup and add new tapes. also wanted to ensure that the removed tape shall be usable in case i need to perform a restore later. Could any one advise me the complete procedure of doing this.

Thanks and regards

Shinoj

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

RonCaplinger
Level 6

I think you have a few problems with your terminology, and I'm not sure I understand what the problem is.

Unless something has changed, the NetBackup appliances are not able to be configured as Virtual Tape Libraries, so your backups are likely going to the NetBackup appliance's Disk Storage Unit, which is probably a Media Server Deduplication Pool (MSDP), or Netbackup Advanced Disk.

You then mention you have duplication jobs going to a robotic tape library, but that job is producing an "insufficient space" message.  What is the actual message, and where are you seeing this? Can you post the output of your deduplication job's Detailed Status tab?  that should give us more information.

If you have no tapes available in the library, requiring you to remove tapes from the tape library and put new ones in it, your duplication job should be failing with an error code 96, not "insufficient space".

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

RonCaplinger
Level 6

I think you have a few problems with your terminology, and I'm not sure I understand what the problem is.

Unless something has changed, the NetBackup appliances are not able to be configured as Virtual Tape Libraries, so your backups are likely going to the NetBackup appliance's Disk Storage Unit, which is probably a Media Server Deduplication Pool (MSDP), or Netbackup Advanced Disk.

You then mention you have duplication jobs going to a robotic tape library, but that job is producing an "insufficient space" message.  What is the actual message, and where are you seeing this? Can you post the output of your deduplication job's Detailed Status tab?  that should give us more information.

If you have no tapes available in the library, requiring you to remove tapes from the tape library and put new ones in it, your duplication job should be failing with an error code 96, not "insufficient space".

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
I have posted over here how to eject and add tapes to the library : https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/tape-ejects-and-load When you want to restore from a tape that was ejected, NBU will prompt you to load the tape.

The link is marked as private.

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

The Symantec links unfortunately do not redirect to Veritas.

Replace www-secure.symantec.com with www.veritas.com.