cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Change mount host

Lumpi
Level 4

Hello

is it possible to change the "mount host" entry in the catalog? As far as I know the mount host is the host where a snashot gets mounted for some operations (file browse,...). I need to change the mount host to a different host.

thanks

10 REPLIES 10

sdo
Partner    VIP    Certified

Apologies, but there's really not much to run with here.  Any chance you could add a fair bit more detail?  Please.  :)

Ok. Some more details.

We use the replication director for VM backups. Normally the mediaserver which is involved in a backup is also the mount host. In case of a restore I will go to the BAR menu and select a image. The snapshot gets mounted at the mount host and now I am able to browse the files in the image for single file restore.
What if the mount host which is stored in the catalog is not available and I have to use another one? Is it possible to change the entry?

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

We call this host the 'backup host' for backups and 'recovery host' for restores.

You can select a different Recovery host in the restore dialog in the 'NetBackup Recovery Host' field. 

Requirements for recovery host is the same as for backup host. Best to read up in VMware Admin Guide. 

What I mean is not the recovery host. I mean the "mount host" entry in the catalog.

We use the replication director to do VM backups. In case of a restore I will open the "backup archive and restore" tab, select the VM. Then I click on "all local drives" to browse the files. As far as I know, the mount host will mount the netapp snapshot so that netbackup can open the vmdk's and present the files in the bar window. There I can select single files and restore them.

My question is: Normally the backup host is the "mount host". This data is stored in the catalog. What if the backup host isnt available? I have to use another "mount host" to do the restore. Is it possible to change that "mount host" entry in the catalog?

Marianne

Sorry, but the term 'mount host' does not exist in NetBackup. 

The Backup Host is where the NetBackup client software is installed and is normally the media server.

The same is true for restore - the Recovery host is now the server that manages the restore. Normally the same backup host and media server. 

If the original media server is not available, you need to ensure that the different media server / Recovery host can access the backup images wherever it was written to (disk or tape - disk if Instant Recovery). 
Details depend on type of backup storage. 

The NFS requirements for Instant Recovery for different Recovery host is documented in NBU for VMware manual.

The NBU catalog on the master writes the original media server as image owner. 
You can verify that with bpimagelist -backupid <image-id> -L  (look for 'Server'  field)

Image ownership can be changed with bpimage command. 

My term "mount host" is from the catalog table heading. See attachement.

sdo
Partner    VIP    Certified

Having not heard of "mount host" myself, I thought I'd have a search of the Commands manual to see if "mount host" appears anywhere, and it low and behold it does, tucked away on a command that I've never heard of before:

https://www.veritas.com/content/support/en_US/doc/15263389-133604923-0/v60375626-133604923

Maybe if you google nbsnapimport and nbsnapreplicate then you might find examples of commands and/or config and/or procedures that help you achieve your goal.

Marianne

@Lumpi and @sdo 

Thanks for 'enlightening' me. 

I guess this feature is specific to Replication Director. 

There is unfortunately very little experience on this forum. 
I have done a search in this forum, and found hardly anything recent (except for you posts). 

I found a post where Product Manager Andreas_Bechter  replied, but I'm wondering if he is still around? 

I would expect to find the answer to your question in Replication Director documentation.

I found this online manual that explains mount host as follows:   https://www.veritas.com/content/support/en_US/doc/59229900-126559687-1

The host on which NetBackup mounts a snapshot when NetBackup needs to access the
snapshot for any reason. Typically, NetBackup accesses the mount host to browse or to
restore backups, or to perform either an Index From Snapshot or a Backup From Snapshot
operation in a storage lifecycle policy.
To mount a snapshot on a host other than the production client is generally more efficient
because it avoids a negative impact on the performance of the production client. Media
servers make excellent mount hosts because the media server is both a client and a media
server (data mover). As such, NetBackup can often avoid an additional network hop. If no
compatible media servers exist, dedicated clients are the next best choice.
Note: The mount host and the production client must run the same operating system for the
mount host to access the production client. The mount host must be at the same OS version
or later.
See the NetBackup Snapshot Client Administrator's Guide for more details.

The manual does not explain how to choose a different mount host for browse or restore purposes. 

The answer might be in Snapshot Client Admin Guide, as the manual that I found and sdo's URL both mention this manual for more info. 

Thanks.

I found the following command in the command reference. So it should be possible to do an manual import. I didn't find anything for changing the catalog entry.

nbsnapimport

-mounthost mount_host

Specifies the mount host where the snapshot copy will be imported.

Marianne

@Lumpi wrote:

Thanks.

I found the following command in the command reference. So it should be possible to do an manual import. I didn't find anything for changing the catalog entry.

nbsnapimport

-mounthost mount_host

Specifies the mount host where the snapshot copy will be imported.

Yes.... @sdo shared the link to the page in Commands manual a couple of hours ago... 

It is probably not possible to change the catalog entry, as the host that was used for the backup is recorded in the catalog. 
Media server ownership can be changed with bpimage command. 
I don't think that it is possible to change other attributes.

Maybe ask Veritas Support?