Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Changing Active Directory domain of NBU Master Server

Yajith
Level 4
Partner Accredited

Hello Everyone,

One of my clients have a requiement to change the AD domain name due to a change in the company. Requirement is to change the domain and the hostname can be kept the same. 

During the implementation I used FQDN for master server. There are no other media servers and master server it self is acting as the media server here. I have attached "nbemmcmd -listhosts -verbose output to the post.

Appreciate if some guidance can be provided to achive this. 

Thanks in advance,

Yajith

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Yasuhisa_Ishika
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

It is not possible to rename NetBackup servers without Catalog Manipulation services provided by Symantec and its authorized partners. Please consider to use current FQDN in NetBackup. You may need to add current FQDN entries into OS's hosts file. Or, pleasr consult Symantec or partners about catalog manipulation.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

Yasuhisa_Ishika
Level 6

It is not possible to rename NetBackup servers without Catalog Manipulation services provided by Symantec and its authorized partners. Please consider to use current FQDN in NetBackup. You may need to add current FQDN entries into OS's hosts file. Or, pleasr consult Symantec or partners about catalog manipulation.

Yajith
Level 4
Partner Accredited

Is there any possibility to get the name change done by performing a catalog recovery on a fresh installation ?

Yasuhisa_Ishika
Level 6

No, server name in NetBackup must be identical with original server. Otherwise, recovery must fail.

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Unfortunately NBU on all servers were installed using FQDN.

For this exact reason, I prefer to install NBU servers using shortnames. This way FQDN is simply an alias in the EMM database and not the master server name.

Yasuhisa is correct. 
You need assistance from Symantec Consulting Partner to change NBU hostname.

See:

How to migrate the NetBackup catalog information from one platform to another (UNIX to Windows or vice versa), rename a Master Server, cluster an existing Master Server, or merge multiple NetBackup domains.
http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH31385