Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Changing Datadomain image owner

h-mazeh
Level 3
Partner Certified

Hello All,

I have a datadomain storage server that is showing down, as one of its media servers is no decomissoin in the right way.

The storage server that holds DDboost over LAN shows down always. I'm trying to solve since like a week.

Is there work arounds? can i create another sotrage server then move all the media sevrers and images to it?

OUTPUT

root@HQNBUM01 # nbdevquery -listdp -stype DataDomain -U | grep -i DDHQ01

Storage Server   : DDHQ01.actintcom.com (DOWN)

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Anshu_Pathak
Level 5

@h-mazeh

NetBackp picks one media server from multiple media servers that are attached/connected/checked with storage server, to act as polling server for that storage server. This media server is resonsible for storage server states (UP/Down). However this selection is a dynamic process, it means any media server can act as polling server for storage server. If you are suspecting storage server issue is due to decommissioned media server then there is a simple process to fix it.

Stop services on master and all media servers attached to storage server in question.

Start services on master server and only on one media server which you think has good connectivity with sotrage server. This media server will become polling server for this storage server and diskpool, disk volume and storage server should all be in UP state. If they are not then you need to troubleshoot it.

Once storage server issue is fixed now to move data from one storage server to another storage server (physically different DD boxes) follow these steps.

Configure new storage server and duplicate all images residing on old storage server to new storage server.

Once all images are duplicated, expire backup image copy on old storage server.

Use nbdecommission command to remove unwanted/old/dead media servers

Please Note: It is VERY VERY important to properly decommission (nbdecommission) media servers in you environment as it causes lot of performance issues and failures on Master server. Never leave any unwanted media server in your environment as it has the potential to ruin your planned vacation Smiley Happy

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

quebek
   VIP    Certified

Hi
I think in the other thread this was addressed but this is what you are looking after

bpimage: -newserver <name> -oldserver <name> [-id <id>] [-M master_server,...]

right?

Hi,

I have exact point I'm checking.

I want to create a new datadomain storage server, and I want to migrate old storage server images into.

Then I want these images to appear under same media server.

Can I do so?

Anshu_Pathak
Level 5

@h-mazeh

NetBackp picks one media server from multiple media servers that are attached/connected/checked with storage server, to act as polling server for that storage server. This media server is resonsible for storage server states (UP/Down). However this selection is a dynamic process, it means any media server can act as polling server for storage server. If you are suspecting storage server issue is due to decommissioned media server then there is a simple process to fix it.

Stop services on master and all media servers attached to storage server in question.

Start services on master server and only on one media server which you think has good connectivity with sotrage server. This media server will become polling server for this storage server and diskpool, disk volume and storage server should all be in UP state. If they are not then you need to troubleshoot it.

Once storage server issue is fixed now to move data from one storage server to another storage server (physically different DD boxes) follow these steps.

Configure new storage server and duplicate all images residing on old storage server to new storage server.

Once all images are duplicated, expire backup image copy on old storage server.

Use nbdecommission command to remove unwanted/old/dead media servers

Please Note: It is VERY VERY important to properly decommission (nbdecommission) media servers in you environment as it causes lot of performance issues and failures on Master server. Never leave any unwanted media server in your environment as it has the potential to ruin your planned vacation Smiley Happy

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

To migrate images, you need to duplicate all images from old DD to new DD. 

You can list all images and create a text file with the image id's and use as input to bpduplicate command.

If you want a particular media server to read and write all images, add -altreadhost to bpduplicate command. 
Specify STU for particular media server in bpduplicate command.

(There are many bpimagelist and bpduplicate examples for migrations in this forum. Start your Google search with site:vox.veritas.com )