cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Changing FQDN in NBU environment

NBdmecha
Level 4
Certified

I need some help with a future change in our domain. Actually we are using production network to do client backups.

All clients and media servers are using production domain FQDNs, in order to avoid network congestion during backups we are going to use a new domain (xxx.backup) and all the backups should be done using this new network.

Here are my thoughts:

-In order to restore clients, I think I can manage it as stated in https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/can-netbackup-merge-client-data-new-name . I mean, We need to change client´s bp.conf file for backups and for restores use the altpath or the relinking method.

-About media servers, I have the following doubt:

-Should I keep the same name in the emm and add a new alias for the server plus configuring network routes in order to force the backup traffic to use the backup interface?

-About the change in our master server I´m very worried. We have two master servers acting as an active/passive cluster using VCS. Virtual name is NOT using FQDN name (let´s say is called "netbackup") but cluster members name are like "servername.domain.com". Do we need Symantec professional services or we can go ahead as netbackup is not using the FQDN??

Maybe none of this is necessary and just configure the REQUIRED_INTERFACE property in all bp.conf files as we are going to keep the current domain infrastructure.

5 REPLIES 5

NBdmecha
Level 4
Certified

anyone?

NBdmecha
Level 4
Certified

After researching a little bit more, seems clear to me that for media servers it will be enough decommissioning old name + add new media server + media server overwrite option.

For brand new Media Servers it´ll be easier just adding name without FQDN to avoid future domain changes.

About master server, we probably could change the domain in the cluster nodes because the virtual name doesn´t have FQDN.but at this moment I think we will keep it on the current domain and leave the traffic control to use the production NW.

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

It seems you want to add a backup network for data transfer?

No need to 'change FQDN'.

Just add hostnames at OS level for backup interface on servers and clients, then add these names to DNS or local hosts files.
Test forward and reverse name lookup between clients and servers.

Change client names in policies to backup network names.
Before you do that, create symbolic links under /usr/openv/netbackup/db/images from Clients' old name to new name.
This will ensure that backup images are stored in the same place and that restores will work using old name or new name.

As far as Media Servers are concerned, just update SERVER entries in own bp.conf as well as Clients' bp.conf to refeference backup interface on media servers.
Remore old SERVER entries for media server public NICs on clients.

NBdmecha
Level 4
Certified

Thanks Marianne.You are right, we are adding a backup network.

Is the procedure of relinking the images supposed to work for Oracle, Exchange and SQL clients too?

About Media servers, isn´t it necessary to change anything in EEM ?

We are using app_clusters too, I suppose we will need to register new names for this resources at EMM , right?

NBdmecha
Level 4
Certified

Finally, we do the following (just in case it can helps someone in the future):

-clients:we added new interface for backup NW, edit bp.conf to specify client´s name on it and edit SERVERS list to allow the media servers on the new domain.

-media servers: were added to the EMM with the production network domain name. Then we created an alias for the backup network name-

-master: we set "ANY_CLUSTER_INTERFACE=1" in bp.conf. Also configured preferred network in order to force virtual IPS in each network for connections (if not, it would be using physical node´s IPs).

Only remains to access the images  of old client´s name for restores, as I only can see the new name images.

What I´ve done at this moment is to link new name in /usr/openv/netbackup/db/images to old name folder, but when I open "Backup,Archive & Restore" it only displays the last backups wich were made under the new name.