Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Changing Netbackup Master server Ip address

RJay
Level 3
Partner Accredited

Good Day Sirs,

I was trying to change the IP address of my MASTER server. After doing so the netbackup master can't be used. I was wandering is there a set of steps in order to properly change the MASTER serves ip address without affecting its performance. Because after changing the ip i cant use my master server. Kindly help me solve this matter. Thanks 

By the way my Netbackup version is 7.5 and my OS is Windows Server 2008 r2.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

sksujeet
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

I hope the hostname is same, ip address change will make no difference. Make sure hostname correctly resolves forward and reverse lookup.

The ip change will take some time across the domain or you can do ipconfig /flushdns

Also do bpclntcmd -clear_host_cache

To replicate the thing fast you can update the DNS manually to reflect the new IP.

once all done do nslookup and make sure it resolves with hostname, fqdn and ip and then start the NBU services

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

Andy_Welburn
Level 6

netbackup master can't be used

How can't it be used?

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
Also curious to know.... NBU databases stores names only - not IP addresses. Have you confirmed that IP address change was successful at OS level? DNS and/or all hosts files updated?

sksujeet
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

I hope the hostname is same, ip address change will make no difference. Make sure hostname correctly resolves forward and reverse lookup.

The ip change will take some time across the domain or you can do ipconfig /flushdns

Also do bpclntcmd -clear_host_cache

To replicate the thing fast you can update the DNS manually to reflect the new IP.

once all done do nslookup and make sure it resolves with hostname, fqdn and ip and then start the NBU services

Dharmendu_Maity
Level 4

use bpclntcmd to confirm whether it resolute master server as well as clients.

Run on master server and clients end both.

RJay
Level 3
Partner Accredited

Hi Sir,

Thank You for all your reply. The master server is not usable because when i open the admin console some services dont start and if i fix them the admin console hangs and it has a error about the EMM. These only happens when i change the ip of the master. But when i return the original ip its running normal. When changing the ip i make sure that it is successful in the os level and that the clients is able to communicate with the master server through that ip. Thanks 

Marianne

Please show us the errors that you are seeing?

Did you clear host_cache as suggested above?

Please also post output of: nbemmcmd -listhosts -verbose

RJay
Level 3
Partner Accredited

Hi there guys,

I would want to inform that the problem is solve. what i did was i just turn off the nbu services and flush the dns and also the bpclntcmd -clear_host_cache.then i up the services. thanks fo your help 

Marianne

Glad all is fine now. 

Please select the post that has helped you most and Mark as Solution.